81 KZ750e wont rev past 7k

More
29 Sep 2014 06:26 #649097 by runmikeyrun
Replied by runmikeyrun on topic 81 KZ750e wont rev past 7k
Ok so, update...

Put the 5/16 fuel filter in place. Took her out and opened her up on the freeway onramp. It was better. It was actually trying to accelerate this time. I think I found my issue. I think there still isn't enough fuel getting through this filter though because 5/16 is still smaller than 3/8 and don't forget the resistance the filter screen causes the fuel going through it. I took the petcock apart while I was in there and it was clean as a whistle.

The old inline filter had some fine sediment in it, so I can't go without a filter for now. If I get the time I'm going to remove and treat the tank with Milkstone remover to get rid of the rust inside, then after a couple dozen miles I can remove the filter and go for it.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, they led me in the right direction to solving my problem :)

Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2014 07:33 #649100 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 81 KZ750e wont rev past 7k
Here's the fuel filter I use. It is small, it passes up to 6 gallons per minute, and it works great. I highly recommend it! Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/59406...ne-and-filter#633243

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Oct 2014 06:42 #649392 by runmikeyrun
Awesome Ed, thank you so much! I'm going to scope it out.

More
02 Oct 2014 23:19 #649488 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic 81 KZ750e wont rev past 7k
Might also want to check that there are no kinks in your smaller line. Even gradual bends can close off the inside of the line. I had a similar issue and found I had far too much line... cut off a 1/4" and all was well.

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
03 Oct 2014 08:34 #649522 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic 81 KZ750e wont rev past 7k
Plus 1 on the timing advancer...Amazing how cruddy those things can get....don't need to remove points, &c to test....just slap a timing light on her and make sure she is advancing properly...
Also fuel tank cap vent can get clogged (they breathe through the keyhole) and if the tank can't let air in, it won't want to let fuel out...

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
16 Oct 2014 14:59 #650828 by runmikeyrun
OK quick run down of what i've checked/done so far:

-checked internal petcock filter and it was clean. Blew air through petcock to make sure it was clean. Tank was pretty free of any junk.

-changed fuel filter to high flow 5/16" inlet/outlet filter. Had a very slight improvement but still wont rev past 7.5k

-I pulled the advance cover and rotated the mechanical advance with my fingers. It felt smooth and I saw no rust inside. I did however see some fine metal shavings, looked like filings, clinging to the pickup blades. I wiped them off. Didn't see any evidence that the advance was hitting the pickups though. I will check it with my timing light next chance I get, it was late at night and my Kerker pipe would wake up the whole neighborhood!

-checking valve clearance- whats the procedure? I replaced the valve cover gasket and all I saw were hydraulic lifters. It's been a long time since i've worked on 4 strokes (2 smoker guy for years) but i thought hydraulic lifters didn't need valve adjustments?

Thanks guys!

More
16 Oct 2014 15:37 #650837 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 81 KZ750e wont rev past 7k
I agree with Nessism that it sounds like a jetting issue. Even though you reported in first post that carbs were re jetted I would take any previous owners statement with a grain of salt.
Next time you have carbs off check jet size - might need magnifying glass. If your carbs are Keihin CV34 then stock jetting was primary mains 62 and secondary mains 125. When I had ^K&N pods and 4 into 1 exhaust I ran 62 and 135 and then later and better ran primary mains 70 and secondary mains 140.If your carbs are something else then please disregard.

Regarding valves - hydraulic lifters I wish. The cams rotate and press on the top of upturned bucket. Beneath the bucket is a shim and beneath the the shim is the valve stem. All known as ``shim under`bucket``. Checking clearances is not difficult but is best described in the manual.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
16 Oct 2014 16:21 - 16 Oct 2014 16:22 #650845 by !Seymore
So Mike, gotta ask to clarify... (and because I don't see where this was asked or answered)

- How long have you owned this bike? disregard, in your OP
- Has it always been this way for you, no rev over 7-7.5k since you bought it? If not, what did you do right before this problem started?

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)
Last edit: 16 Oct 2014 16:22 by !Seymore.

More
16 Oct 2014 17:14 #650856 by runmikeyrun
JR, thank you so much for the input on jetting... I will pull carbs and check. Also, I'm still trying to figure out where I can print the manual...

As for owning the bike, it's always been this way. Put on new emgo coils (black ones) because the old ones were all corroded and shot. It runs great since the coils it just won't rev. I don't think they are the issue though.

More
16 Oct 2014 18:46 #650879 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 KZ750e wont rev past 7k
Would observe the advancer function under a timing light to watch for it to quickly move back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping the throttle.

Failure to advance will result in loss of power under load.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 Oct 2014 22:12 #650908 by !Seymore
Thanks for the info Mike... yea, follow the jetting lead. Good luck...

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

More
20 Mar 2015 12:01 #665039 by runmikeyrun
Well, the long Siberan winter has finally lifted here in Ohio. :woohoo:

I pulled the bike out yesterday and checked the advance and timing- its operating properly and timing is spot on. I did have a little bit of popping both on the throttle and when letting off. This makes me suspect that the pilot circuit is lean at the very least.

I can pull the carbs when I have a day off, but my issue is that they were synced after they were cleaned recently and I dont wanna screw that up by pulling and disassembling them. I imagine that not making any adjustments will not change the sync? If I have to buy a carb synch tool and do it I will, but i'd rather not lol.

Patton wrote: Would observe the advancer function under a timing light to watch for it to quickly move back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping the throttle.

Failure to advance will result in loss of power under load.

Good Fortune! :)