Warm up

More
05 Apr 2014 19:24 #628001 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Warm up
Thanks for the link. I noticed my bike already has something similar to that mod however it looks fabricated to the carbs somehow (stock?)

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2014 19:27 #628003 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Warm up
No, that is the idle-speed knob, and it is stock on every TK22 carb set.

I am suggesting altering the fast-idle setting, which is normal set with a set-screw and lock nut. I am suggesting replacing it with a knob-spring setup similar to the idle-speed knob.

One (or more) of the several manuals available will show how to set the fast-idle setting.

The idle-speed knob sets the idle speed when the choke is off.
The fast-idle speed screw sets the idle speed when the choke is on.

More
05 Apr 2014 19:37 #628005 by nickleo373
Ah ok I found the fast-idle screw on the other side of the carbs. I think I may have adjusted that when I was putting the bike together last summer which is probably why the idle has always been crazy when starting with full choke. I'll adjust it for now to compensate for the weather and then find another knob to do the mod

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
10 Apr 2014 20:20 #628637 by nickleo373
I just got around to checking the carb holder boots earlier tonight. All of them are leaking which is probably why it takes forever to heat up and revs up so much with the choke on. I'm going to order some new carb boots in a couple weeks when I get paid. Never seen a more expensive piece of rubber in my life :laugh: . The screws appear to be pretty tight on there. I went to harbor freight and got some JIS screwdrivers but it looks like a couple of the screws have started to cam out already from the previous owner working on it. What's the best way to take the screws out without completely stripping them?

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
10 Apr 2014 20:34 #628638 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Warm up
I would soak the screws with Kroil for 2 or 3 days. If the JIS bit fits tightly (see pic below) they should come out ok. If it doesn't fit undamaged screws tightly you should modify it so it does. If the screw heads are messed up pretty bad you may want to try an impact screwdriver - the type you whack with a hammer. In any event, the Kroil should help break the bond between the screw and the motor; it did on mine. Ed

Attachment ScrewdriverBit3.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
11 Apr 2014 06:11 #628654 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Warm up
Heat the aluminum with a propane pencil torch... that worked on my bike. When installing the new boots, I recommend using Allen hex bolts and applying anti seize.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires