Fuel line issues

More
04 Apr 2014 20:41 #627908 by LovinMyKZ
Replied by LovinMyKZ on topic Fuel line issues
I only have 1 fuel line, it runs to a t in between the two center carbs and the others are fed through connectors from them. The air gets to be so much the filter will be empty and the bike starts to starve. When I first got it there was rust in the tank, have cleaned it and the carbs, it did get clogged then and cut off completely a couple times. There is not any trash in the tank now, I drained it earlier today so I'm sure about that! Funny thing is when it was dirty the floats would get trash in them and leak all my gas out through the pods, now it won't flow,lol Maybe should put some rust back in?NOT lol

1982 KZ1100 A2 (shafty)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 20:45 - 04 Apr 2014 20:47 #627909 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fuel line issues
Am thinking that some air being visible inside the filter is normal, and isn't contributing to what is seemingly a fuel starvation issue.

The main concern is having enough fuel flowing to keep the fuel level inside the float bowl within specs and having unobstructed vents from the bowls.

Is there any possibility that the vent tubes are kinked or obstructed or not exiting to open air?

Absent venting, there's so-called "vapor lock" in the bowls which prevents adequate fuel flow (akin to not opening the vent on a gas can before filling the lawnmower tank).

If not already done, it might help to enrichen the pilot circuits (affects first quarter throttle), and perhaps raise the jet needle to enrichen throughout the mid-throttle range.

The pods are likely contributing to the fuel starvation problem at low to mid-range throttle positions. And are difficult to tune for excellent performance (equivalent to air-box performance) throughout the entire range of throttle.
If fitting a stock air box isn't a feasible option, I believe Dynojet offers a kit that includes a jet needle with a different taper for use with pod filters, which reportedly helps, but probably won't rise to air-box standards.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Apr 2014 20:47 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.