Leaky Float Valves or something else?

More
05 Apr 2014 13:29 - 05 Apr 2014 13:30 #627971 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Leaky Float Valves or something else?
Each carb is set to 4mm below the carb body which is the highest of the recommended setting on loudhvx's tk22 site. I tried raising the floats higher and the needles wouldn't allow gas to flow into the carb

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
Last edit: 05 Apr 2014 13:30 by nickleo373.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2014 13:15 - 07 Apr 2014 13:15 #628215 by nickleo373
I took the gas tank off today to see what was going on and I noticed it is still leaking. I took it to the Kawasaki dealer that "fixed" it and they told me I needed a new petcock. Is it possible for the petcock to be so bad that it can no longer be rebuilt? There doesn't appear to be any corrosion and the diaphram and all the gaskets are new. I don't know whether to believe them or if they would just rather me pay them 200 bucks for a new part instead of 20 to fix the old parts.

1981 KZ550C LTD
Last edit: 07 Apr 2014 13:15 by nickleo373.

More
07 Apr 2014 14:35 #628237 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Leaky Float Valves or something else?

nickleo373 wrote: I took the gas tank off today to see what was going on and I noticed it is still leaking. I took it to the Kawasaki dealer that "fixed" it and they told me I needed a new petcock. Is it possible for the petcock to be so bad that it can no longer be rebuilt? There doesn't appear to be any corrosion and the diaphram and all the gaskets are new. I don't know whether to believe them or if they would just rather me pay them 200 bucks for a new part instead of 20 to fix the old parts.

It is possible that the petcock can not be rebuilt. The petcock would stop the flooding.... but if the needles/seats seal properly, you can leave the petcock wide open and it doesn't flood. I know because I forget sometimes and leave mine on. If you have a flooding problem, you can fix it at the carbs. Most old petcocks don't cut off completely (mine doesn't) but the valves in the carbs should be able to do their jobs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Apr 2014 14:56 #628241 by nickleo373
Is it possible that gas could be leaking in through old o rings on the main jets? Those are the only things that I haven't replaced yet.

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
07 Apr 2014 22:42 - 07 Apr 2014 22:43 #628285 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Leaky Float Valves or something else?

nickleo373 wrote: Is it possible that gas could be leaking in through old o rings on the main jets? Those are the only things that I haven't replaced yet.

No. The main jet orings won't affect fuel delivery.

Find which carb is leaking, and take the bowl off, then prop the bowl up so it is stable, and fill it with gas. If it leaks, then there is a leak unrelated to the floats or fuel valve. It is leaking in the drain valve or the brass overflow pipe may be cracked. The drain valve has two orings in it.

Dow you have any good macro photos of the petcock insides?
You can just hold your camera up to it through a magnifying glass if you don't have a macro setting on the camera.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2014 22:43 by loudhvx.

More
07 Apr 2014 22:54 #628286 by pscycle
Replied by pscycle on topic Leaky Float Valves or something else?
Did you check to be sure carb vents are c lear? carefully run a small piece of copper wire through to be sure

pscycle927

More
08 Apr 2014 07:06 #628313 by nickleo373
I may have fixed the petcock last night by bending the metal washer that goes over the on/res/prime handle. I let it sit overnight and there's no leaks yet. The guy from the Kawasaki dealer overtightened the petcock so much that I cant take it back off. I'll make sure the vents are clear later today.

1981 KZ550C LTD