TK22 drain screw leak

More
08 Mar 2014 11:05 - 08 Mar 2014 11:05 #624524 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic TK22 drain screw leak
The screw in that picture has o rings that look exactly like the ones on the new screw. The o ring closest to the tip of the screw on the other 3 screws are thicker than that. The leak is coming from the hole at the tip of the overflow pipe shown on the diagram. I tested it again earlier with the bowl off the carbs and even when it is filled with gas all the way to the top, the gas won't leak from the bowl. It only seems to happen with the floats in place and the bowl attached to the carb

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
Last edit: 08 Mar 2014 11:05 by nickleo373.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2014 12:17 #624527 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic TK22 drain screw leak

nickleo373 wrote: The screw in that picture has o rings that look exactly like the ones on the new screw. The o ring closest to the tip of the screw on the other 3 screws are thicker than that. The leak is coming from the hole at the tip of the overflow pipe shown on the diagram. I tested it again earlier with the bowl off the carbs and even when it is filled with gas all the way to the top, the gas won't leak from the bowl. It only seems to happen with the floats in place and the bowl attached to the carb

with the bowl off the carbs and even when it is filled with gas all the way to the top, the gas won't leak from the bowl -- This indicates that the full bowl is holding fuel with no leakage past either o'ring. But if the drain screw is loosened, fuel should flow from the nipple until the bowl empties. All of which is normal.

It only seems to happen with the floats in place and the bowl attached to the carb -- This indicates that fuel level is undesirably rising until it reaches high enough to enter the hole at top of the overflow pipe. Common causes include leaking float valve, improper float tang adjustment, sticking float, leaking float, float installed upside down, etc.

Where the fuel level keeps rising until it reaches high enough to enter the hole at top of the overflow pipe, it's usually impossible to perform a valid clear tube test, because the level inside the tube won't remain constant, and will likely keep rising inside the clear tube as the corresponding level is rising inside the carb.

I doubt that the existing fuel discharge from the nipple is related to the new drain screw or o'rings.

I suspect the existing fuel discharge from the nipple is due to excessively high fuel level inside the carb, and that the overflow system is functioning as it's supposed to.

Would look for reason why the float system is failing to maintain the correct fuel level. And would start with possible dirty float valve. Then investigate the other possibilities.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickleo373

More
08 Mar 2014 13:12 #624532 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic TK22 drain screw leak
Not exactly sure what the issue was. I switched the leaking bowl with the bowl from the carb next to it and switched the tank to PRI and it isn't leaking anymore :huh:
Thanks for the help Patton

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"