Maxi-bore feed back wanted

More
14 Feb 2014 09:07 #622224 by kaw-a-holic
Maxi-bore feed back wanted was created by kaw-a-holic
Hey guys I want some feedback here before I decide to ship off my carbs. I have a 77 KZ1000a1 stock motor with a Motogpwerks 4into1 on its way. Currently I am running an old Henry Abe Bread box filter(but working on a new design of my own). I'm not quite ready for a big bore kit at this time but am thinking of having my carbs bored from 26 to 30 via "Maxi-bore". What is your honest opinion on this?
This is his clam:
Don’t just rebuild your carbs – MAXI-BORE them!

MAXI-BORE carbs are more than just cleaned, rebuilt, or bored, they are MAXI-BORED.
Outperform 29mm Smoothbores, at a fraction of the cost. How is this possible?
MAXI-BORE carbs look stock on the outside. So, no one will know the power you have on tap. Vastly improved throttle response.
There is no easier, cheaper, more reliable way to build huge, dependable HP gains with your engine. Compatible with ported heads, high lift cams, big bore kits & any exhaust. Multiply the power potential of your engine. If you have a modified motor, why settle for 26mm carbs? You won't believe the difference MAXI-BORE carb re-manufacturing will make.
Make your stock motor run with the big bore kit guys. Many engine modifications can reduce the reliability and life of your engine. MAXI-BORE carbs can make your stock bike faster than modified bikes, without any of the reliability issues of engine modification. Instant power, OEM reliability, at bargain basement prices!
So, good, even a stock engine will roar with delight.

What’s so special about MAXI-BORE carbs?
The MAXI-BORE process was developed on a FLOW BENCH! After weeks and weeks of flow testing this design was created. A work of art that combines extreme airflow improvement with vastly improved fuel atomization, and stronger jet signals. You see, liquid fuel can not burn, only vaporized fuel can burn. MAXI-BORE carbs are more fuel efficient than your OEM carbs. You get more power and usually better fuel economy. You get more fuel in your engine, and more of that fuel is burned, making more power.

Stock 26mm carbs flow 70cfm (cubic feet per minute) at 10” H20 vacuum.
30.5mm MAXI-BORE carbs flow 105cfm.
29mm Smoothbores only flow 98cfm.

So, the total flow increase in your four carbs is a whopping 140cfm!!! That’s like adding 2 more 26mm carbs!
Think you understand airflow? Here are some questions that might let you know where you stand on airflow.

Any feed back you could provide would be greatly appreciated. $500 is a chunk of change I do not want to throw away and I won't have my old carbs to go back to since he bores out my carbs.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2014 10:08 #622233 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted
Good question, curios to know, myself ....P.S. glad you were able to grab the last set of pipes !!!

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2014 11:13 #622234 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted
On paper, looks to be a cheaper alternative to VM29 smoothbores and a awesome carb setup.

More
14 Feb 2014 15:10 - 14 Feb 2014 15:37 #622258 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted

pete greek1 wrote: Good question, curios to know, myself ....P.S. glad you were able to grab the last set of pipes !!!

Thanks I am so stoked about that pipe. I posted a short YouTube of one on a KZ1000 in my build thread, link in my signature. It sounds.......... well........... mean!

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Last edit: 14 Feb 2014 15:37 by kaw-a-holic. Reason: Spelling

More
14 Feb 2014 15:45 #622259 by kaw-a-holic
Well I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig here. I did a bit more research after PMing with another member who mentioned it may be a bit pricey.
I found a couple of local guys who do this. They charge 40-50 per carb if I disassemble them. $550+parts if taking in the whole rack. None of them do anything with the intake manifolds.
Maxi-bore includes gaskets, intake manifold shaping and cleaning the carbs for $499 plus shipping both ways.
I'm going to give you guys some more time to reply before making the decision but I'm leaning hard towards the Maxi-bore.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
14 Feb 2014 19:22 #622296 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

More
14 Feb 2014 22:46 #622307 by kaw-a-holic

Patton wrote: FYI

www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/vm-perfomance-o-bores

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks Patton I appreciate the link. I will have to get a hold of him on Monday. He has a LONG waiting list.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
15 Feb 2014 04:20 #622314 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted
I think they would work well with a built engine. Since yours is stock id save my money and get the head flowing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

More
15 Feb 2014 05:20 - 15 Feb 2014 05:22 #622321 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted

kaw-a-holic wrote: . . . has a LONG waiting list.

wg's info mentions "priority service" for the o-bores, which may help expedite the process.

If you have a set of VM26 carbs being rebuilt and headed for our work queue, we can upgrade them to O-Bores for $249 additional to the cost of a rebuild. They are pulled out of the normal queue and given priority service.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Feb 2014 05:22 by Patton.

More
15 Feb 2014 06:51 #622333 by kaw-a-holic
That's what I wanted to talk to them about Patton. Have you used them? Know somebody who has? Any feedback from the forum on WG's carb services would be appreciated.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Feb 2014 07:32 #622336 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted
Do a forum search. There have been some heated discussions about wg's service.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
15 Feb 2014 07:55 #622337 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Maxi-bore feed back wanted
SPEND THE EXTRA CAKE and get the CR Specials. You won't regret it. Get the head to flow and matched with a set of J boots and you will see a whole new light. The head is where the flow stops up. Why do you think so many people dump them in favor of the J head. But if you work the head enough you can retain that stock look and not have a franken motor. The CR's are your best bet unless you plan on some serious porting and polishing then the next size carb would be the 34 MIKs which are where you'd want to be if you really put a bore and cams with serious headwork.

kaw-a-holic wrote: Well I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig here. I did a bit more research after PMing with another member who mentioned it may be a bit pricey.
I found a couple of local guys who do this. They charge 40-50 per carb if I disassemble them. $550+parts if taking in the whole rack. None of them do anything with the intake manifolds.
Maxi-bore includes gaskets, intake manifold shaping and cleaning the carbs for $499 plus shipping both ways.
I'm going to give you guys some more time to reply before making the decision but I'm leaning hard towards the Maxi-bore.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958, kaw-a-holic, 4TheKZ1000