The Gunson Colortune tool

More
10 Dec 2013 16:12 #615232 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic The Gunson Colortune tool
When I got the stuff to rebuilt my VM29's (no kit's for them)
from Z1 the peice came with a Sudco sticker so I'd think Z1
source's them from Sudco.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FaultedGeologist
  • User
  • The truly educated never graduate...
More
05 Sep 2014 06:49 #646331 by FaultedGeologist
Replied by FaultedGeologist on topic The Gunson Colortune tool

zukdave wrote: If the mech. sync is not done BEFORE any tuning you will not get the screw's any were near even
just as OMR said his ain't close to even turn's out.
OK flame on.

Can someone answer this question please? The local bike repair shop owner stated that I needed to resolve the carb issues regarding not getting a cylinder firing and the air fuel mix. Only then would it be worth it to vac sync the carbs. Do I Need to vac sync or perfect the air/fuel first?? Or, do I run air/fuel, then vac sync, then confirm A/F???

Previously my 3rd cylinder was not firing, so I replaced the A/F needles on Keihin CV34 carbs. The 3rd cylinder required around 3-4 turns out to get the exhaust warm.

I just got the Gunson Colortune in the mail, and I am excited to use it.

BTW, here is the most recent manual: gunson.co.uk/items/pdf/Products/G4074-English.pdf
Questions: (pages will not
1) page 12 - Do I have the Variable Choke Carb or Slide Type Carb? Both sound applicable.

2) page 15 - Multible throttle body injection - help...

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
FSMaunual: kz.bike-night.com/media/GPz750-full.pdf
Stock except for:
New chain and sprocket (530?).
Dynatek Ignition
Manual tensioner on the way.

Buy JIS screwdrivers.

More
05 Sep 2014 07:21 - 05 Sep 2014 07:21 #646334 by Stazi
Replied by Stazi on topic The Gunson Colortune tool

FaultedGeologist wrote:

zukdave wrote: If the mech. sync is not done BEFORE any tuning you will not get the screw's any were near even
OK flame on.

Can someone answer this question please? The local bike repair shop owner stated that I needed to resolve the carb issues regarding not getting a cylinder firing and the air fuel mix. Only then would it be worth it to vac sync the carbs. Do I Need to vac sync or perfect the air/fuel first?? Or, do I run air/fuel, then vac sync, then confirm A/F???

Previously my 3rd cylinder was not firing, so I replaced the A/F needles on Keihin CV34 carbs. The 3rd cylinder required around 3-4 turns out to get the exhaust warm.

BTW, here is the most recent manual: gunson.co.uk/items/pdf/Products/G4074-English.pdf
1) page 12 - Do I have the Variable Choke Carb or Slide Type Carb? Both sound applicable.

I think you have to use an iterative approach. Hook up you carb sync manometer, balance the carbs and then tune each cylinder with the Gunson, then check the balance and adjust if necessary and then recheck with the Gunson.. Each adjustment (fuel vs balance) will affect the other.

82 KZ1000-K2 LTD
Last edit: 05 Sep 2014 07:21 by Stazi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FaultedGeologist

More
05 Sep 2014 09:14 #646337 by Old Rider
Replied by Old Rider on topic The Gunson Colortune tool
To help with carb Sync I found a paper clip the size I needed to set the slide gap. I know some folks use wire and that works as well just figured I would pass along another item.

Old Dogs never Die.

• FaultedGeologist
  • User
More
05 Sep 2014 09:29 #646340 by FaultedGeologist

Old Rider wrote: To help with carb Sync I found a paper clip the size I needed to set the slide gap. I know some folks use wire and that works as well just figured I would pass along another item.

What is the slide gap?

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.

More
05 Sep 2014 09:39 - 05 Sep 2014 09:40 #646343 by JR
Replied by JR on topic The Gunson Colortune tool

FaultedGeologist wrote:

OK flame on.

I think you have Keihin CV 34 carbs in which case:
1 you don't have slide type carbs so can disregard the slide gap. Your choke lever operates a choke flap also called a butterfly which blocks air from the air box
2 you don't have fuel injection so no throttle bodies

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 05 Sep 2014 09:40 by JR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FaultedGeologist

• FaultedGeologist
  • User
More
05 Sep 2014 10:52 #646345 by FaultedGeologist

JR wrote: I think you have Keihin CV 34 carbs (YES) in which case:
1 you don't have slide type carbs so can disregard the slide gap. Your choke lever operates a choke flap also called a butterfly which blocks air from the air box

This makes sense now... slide=up and down, flap=rotation on center line.

So am I able to do one tune, then the other; or back and forth in search of unity? Any further confirmation of order or strategy would be great. Digging back in to the carbs and red wine...

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.

More
05 Sep 2014 12:31 #646347 by JR
Replied by JR on topic The Gunson Colortune tool
Like Stazi said in his post #646334 above. Good advice

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
06 Sep 2014 21:41 #646524 by Old Rider
Replied by Old Rider on topic The Gunson Colortune tool
The carburetor slides Mine doesnt have the lil clips they have to be set and then set screws. Think if I remember correctly mine were .028 and I have the lil square You set these from the engine side so the carbs have to be removed from the engine. I did find one slide was off at least .010. I been researching the Gunson the Motion pro sync and just a quad set of vacuum gauges. Im really thinking of just going old school with a set of vacuum gauges.
I have seen folks make the homemade tuner out of 4 bottles, which i did as well after spending a small fortune in vacuum hose and making a mount for it all I can truely say for what it is it works but you cant fine tune with the 2cycle out I used, LOL! It sure does get a lot of looks hanging on the garage wall though. John.

Old Dogs never Die.

• FaultedGeologist
  • User
More
24 Sep 2014 19:20 #648692 by FaultedGeologist

Old Rider wrote: I been researching the Gunson the Motion pro sync and just a quad set of vacuum gauges. Im really thinking of just going old school with a set of vacuum gauges.

I did opinion research across the interwebs on them all, here is sum:

4x Vac gauges are old trusty, but require sync every use on a single vac source before use. Bulky, so storage and transport sucks.
$60 on Z1, or $200 for real nice set.

Motion Pro liquid sync set can get sucked into engine, and frequently gets air bubbles in it so one or more carbs cannot be set.
$90 at Z1, cheaper on Amazon.

Morgan Carbtune comes from UK or ebay for a premium. It uses stainless rods to show vac pressure, and is durable, portable, and needs no calibration.
$100 to $116 shipped depending...

I want the Morgan Carbtune and a set ov old gauges to test for myself the differences. Local shop uses classic gauges.

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.

More
26 Sep 2014 12:28 #648901 by Stazi
Replied by Stazi on topic The Gunson Colortune tool
I have a mercury manometer set. You'd have to TRY hard to suck the mercury into your engine, at which point you have no business messing with carbs or engines for that matter. The Mercury manometers are the most accurate if you ask me as you don't have to worry about a needle gauge being calibrated properly.

82 KZ1000-K2 LTD