Any Tricks to get the carbs back on?

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Aug 2013 20:20 #603218 by Mid life crisis
Replied by Mid life crisis on topic Any Tricks to get the carbs back on?
Yeah, I figured there wasn't any magic ways. The pick is a good idea. I was trying to use a flat head screwdriver blade. It eventually worked, but the 90 degree bend would have made it much easier.

Thanks.

1981 KZ750E2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2013 21:29 #603222 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Any Tricks to get the carbs back on?
I just bought new OEM boots from Z1E for my '77 KZ1000. These new boots are much softer than the old dried up stiff originals. I have my carbs out to rejet and am going to be putting them back on in a few minutes.

Based on how soft these new ones are I think the trick is to get new boots if available.

I thought about rolling the ends over but I'm not sure even the new ones will take that without ripping? On my bike pulling the boots back inside the airbox is not an option. The boots get sandwiched between the inner mesh baskets and a flange. As far as I can tell this all must be assembled before putting the airbox back into the bike.

It would be interesting to see how the factory assembly line handled carb/airbox install. They must have had a good method.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Aug 2013 23:12 #603242 by Mid life crisis
Replied by Mid life crisis on topic Any Tricks to get the carbs back on?
I was thinking about factory assembly as well. I wish I could have access to the carb-putter-in machine!!

1981 KZ750E2

More
26 Aug 2013 23:29 #603248 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Any Tricks to get the carbs back on?

74ullc wrote: .........................
I thought about rolling the ends over but I'm not sure even the new ones will take that without ripping? ........................................

New soft boots fold back on themselves so easily that it seems they were designed with this in mind ;) There is a line midway on the inside of my boots and the they the boots seem to fold at this point. I have been doing this for 3 years and no rips.

Doing this I can remove and replace my carbs almost as fast as when I had pods

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust