Fuel Petcock PRI

More
31 Jul 2013 21:10 #599315 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Fuel Petcock PRI
Ok so i looked at the vacuum hose and there aren't any rips in it however i did notice that when i touched the float bowl drains there is a tiny amount of gas leaking from them. Its not a visible amount but it is enough to leave that cool gas feeling on your hands. Ive recently replaced all the gaskets in my carbs and I'm not sure what would cause it to leak from its float bowl drains

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2013 22:17 #599332 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fuel Petcock PRI

nickleo373 wrote: On tk22 carbs i believe there is only one hole where the vacuum hose can attach to....

May use any one of the 4 sync nipples located on the carb holders as a vac supply for the petcock. Remember to cap/plug the dedicated carb vac nipple.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Aug 2013 08:06 #599377 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Fuel Petcock PRI

nickleo373 wrote: Ok so i looked at the vacuum hose and there aren't any rips in it however i did notice that when i touched the float bowl drains there is a tiny amount of gas leaking from them. Its not a visible amount but it is enough to leave that cool gas feeling on your hands. Ive recently replaced all the gaskets in my carbs and I'm not sure what would cause it to leak from its float bowl drains

Maybe the floats were set to a incorect height. Maybe needle and seat leaking.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
01 Aug 2013 09:00 #599384 by Patton

nickleo373 wrote: ... did notice that when i touched the float bowl drains there is a tiny amount of gas leaking from them. Its not a visible amount but it is enough to leave that cool gas feeling on your hands. Ive recently replaced all the gaskets in my carbs and I'm not sure what would cause it to leak from its float bowl drains

Would replace all drain screw o'rings.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Aug 2013 18:03 #600119 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Fuel Petcock PRI
I ended up taking the carbs off the bike and doing a full cleaning with carb spray and compressed air. I readjusted the float heights back to stock. The previous owner apparently thought he could make up for not rejetting the carbs for pods by changing the float height. :S I got everything put back on the bike and it's running much better. The only problem I'm having now is the petcock doesn't seem to be delivering gas into the carbs in the on or res position. It was probably doing this before I took the carbs off but it was running so poorly I didn't notice. I figure it's probably a vacuum problem because it's a vacuum activated petcock. I can't find any rips in the vacuum hose that would be causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
06 Aug 2013 18:16 #600120 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Fuel Petcock PRI
Make sure you have the hose hooked up to carbs correctly. if you are sure you do you could always test the petcock by unhooking the vacuum line and putting a suction on it and see if it opens.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
06 Aug 2013 18:20 #600121 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Fuel Petcock PRI
Like powerstroke_fan said almost a week ago... ;)

Powerstroke_fan wrote: It sounds like to me your not getting proper vaccum or the diaphram in the petcock is bad.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
06 Aug 2013 18:20 #600122 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fuel Petcock PRI
Is possible the petcock diaphragm valve assembly (7) or fuel tap gasket (3) is damaged? Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-08-06-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2013 20:23 #600145 by Patton
Would get a kit and rebuild the petcock.

Setting float height is futile unless true fuel level is confirmed within specs via the clear tube test.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD