New additive that combats effects of ethanol

More
09 Jul 2013 16:50 #595721 by mtkawboy
www.enginelabs.com/news/carb-defender-de...e-effects-of-ethanol Just saw this today in a newsletter I get. I have no idea of if it works, no finacial interest of any kind. I just thought Id pass it on

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2013 17:28 #595722 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol
I found the Lucas fuel conditioner to be outstanding. I have gas sitting in my bike for many weeks and it never oxidizes. I used to have to clean my carbs every six months. I haven't worked on them for at least four years now that I use the Lucas stuff.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• danger_bandito
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
09 Jul 2013 17:30 #595723 by danger_bandito
Replied by danger_bandito on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol
Cool stuff. Although I've always gone with the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I would just play the safer route and find ethonol free gasoline. Better safe than sorry.

As much as I agree with the term "YOLO," I equally hate it.
1981 KZ440LTD-A2 - "Calamity"

More
10 Jul 2013 16:08 #595844 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol
I would too but sometimes that isnt an option. In Billings, a town of about 105,000 theres 2 stations that sell premium alcohol free gas. Its OK running its the setting thats hard on the carbs

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
11 Jul 2013 11:38 #595981 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol
If my bike sits for much more than a week, I drain the carbs w the petcock set to PRI to give them a flushing, typically about a quart of fuel total but sometimes 2-3 quarts. I also try to keep at least 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. It's best to keep the tank full to reduce the exposure to air.

Gasoline goes bad as a function of time, temperature, & quantity. The longer it sits, the more it deteriorates. The higher the temps & the smaller the amount, the quicker it goes bad. Ethanol exacerbates the problem of fuel going bad as it has a tendency to absorb moisture. Theoretically, the alcohol/water mix separates out & the gasoline floats on top, so draining & flushing the carbs may remove some of the alcohol/water from the tank, but I have no idea how much time must pass before the separation occurs. I sometimes leave the drained fuel in a clear container for a couple of weeks, and I've never seen any separation.

More
11 Jul 2013 13:15 #595999 by steell

danger_bandito wrote: Cool stuff. Although I've always gone with the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I would just play the safer route and find ethonol free gasoline. Better safe than sorry.

Not in Indiana, by law gasoline must be 10% Ethanol at the retail pump.

Sucks.

KD9JUR

More
11 Jul 2013 17:22 - 11 Jul 2013 17:24 #596042 by bountyhunter

steell wrote:

danger_bandito wrote: Cool stuff. Although I've always gone with the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I would just play the safer route and find ethonol free gasoline. Better safe than sorry.

Sucks.

Same in California, and there is talk of forcing it up to E-15. I guess the repair shops are not getting enough business.

But I swear to you all, the fuel related problems all disappeared when I started using Lucas fuel conditioner. I no longer have a job, so I put less than 1k miles a year on my bike. The gas sometimes sits in it for weeks without even starting the engine. In five years, zero problems and zero work done to the fuel system. I wish I had found this stuff years ago.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 Jul 2013 17:24 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Jul 2013 22:44 #596092 by 821000ltd
Replied by 821000ltd on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol
Check out wwwpure-gas.org

82 KZ1000 LTD
Kerker 4 to 1

80 KZ 250

More
11 Jul 2013 22:45 #596093 by 821000ltd
Replied by 821000ltd on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol
Oops make that www.pure-gas.org

82 KZ1000 LTD
Kerker 4 to 1

80 KZ 250

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Jul 2013 22:49 #596095 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol

bountyhunter wrote:

steell wrote:

Sucks.

Same in California, and there is talk of forcing it up to E-15. I guess the repair shops are not getting enough business.

But I swear to you all, the fuel related problems all disappeared when I started using Lucas fuel conditioner. I no longer have a job, so I put less than 1k miles a year on my bike. The gas sometimes sits in it for weeks without even starting the engine. In five years, zero problems and zero work done to the fuel system. I wish I had found this stuff years ago.

Very sorry to here that, hope you find some work soon. I did work on the side, and bought and sold stuff till I took another job in a different state. Got to ride plenty then, now with full time work, I've had to cut that back. Still get several good rides in for at least 5K a year.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Jul 2013 00:21 #596108 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic New additive that combats effects of ethanol
Marvels Mystery Oil! Been around awhile!
Enough said here!
I'll debate anyone face to face! I have been using it for 40 years! for several different things!
The best stuff going!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
12 Jul 2013 04:26 - 12 Jul 2013 04:28 #596123 by bountyhunter

Motor Head wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

steell wrote:

Sucks.

Very sorry to here that, hope you find some work soon. I did work on the side, and bought and sold stuff till I took another job in a different state. Got to ride plenty then, now with full time work, I've had to cut that back. Still get several good rides in for at least 5K a year.

It's OK. My wife still has a good job, my house is paid for so I don't have to worry. I'm old and creaky anyway. I'll probably live longer now that I don't have to run in the rat race anymore. Screw em.

I have to ration my ride time because I have severe allergies and asthma so the great outdoors ain't so great to me. And our weather has been scorching hot which cooks the air and cranks up the ozone. We get those "lethal air warnings" a lot now. I still go for rides at least three times a week.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 12 Jul 2013 04:28 by bountyhunter.