Alternative to my BS34's.

More
05 Jun 2013 13:13 #590944 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Alternative to my BS34's.
I had no detonation issues with my engine combo. What compression ratio are you running, mine is 10.25-1 and I just run premium gas, timing is stock with a Dyna S ignition and coils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kimsmith4807
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2013 21:17 #590988 by kimsmith4807
Replied by kimsmith4807 on topic Alternative to my BS34's.
C/R is 10.5 : 1. Detonation goes away when I have the timing 6 degrees retarded from stock. Thought my low rpm problem was related to being too retarded and set things back to factory. I know now I wasn't so I might go back. I'm excited about upgrading the carbs. Might not happen til late summer but it will happen. I documented my full frame off rebuild on another forum, (sorry), and I spared nothing, cut no corners when it came to the build. Paid top dollar for what were probably some of the last nos stuff on the planet. I've been told by others and you guys have reinforced the fact that a motor like mine deserves something better than the stock CV's. I look forward to coming here, getting to know many of you and sharing our interest for one of the greatest bikes ever built.

1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD

More
05 Jun 2013 22:08 #590993 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Alternative to my BS34's.
You can try backing our intake cam off a couple of degrees to delay IVC and see how much it drops your static cylinder pressure.

Larry C.

More
06 Jun 2013 08:20 #591041 by LarryC
One more little bit of info for you. If you hear the knock, it's wise to pull the spark plugs and look closely for little balls of aluminum on the insulator and base ring.

Larry C.

More
06 Jun 2013 08:35 - 06 Jun 2013 08:41 #591045 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Alternative to my BS34's.
I was running rs36 for my old motor which was a 1075 10.25 to 1 with a j model head which dropped my compression one point. So i never had any detontaton issues. I had the psp 3x cams. My bike always wanted to stumble till round 3000 then it would just come right out and run!!! I was told it was the cams and lower compression. But i got used to it. As far as the carbs rattling, mine does it also. They all do, from what i understand. Anyway with my new motor, i dont have that problem. It will take right off. Yet you can still feel the "power band come in round 3000 and up. It seems like the bike pulls harder and smoother and it revs allot quicker. Now i cant really be into while shifting thru the gears it will just blow the rear tire off or stand up. i perfer it smoke the tire. I dont want to blow my new rebuilt front forks. Everytime your getting on it from any speed. It makes the front end feel so lite.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 06 Jun 2013 08:41 by Powerstroke_fan.

• kimsmith4807
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jun 2013 18:59 #591133 by kimsmith4807
Not completely ready to give up on the cv carb. I still think I just simply have an over rich idle circuit due to the lower vacuum at low rpm. Trying to find what a stock motor would pull for vacuum at one of the carb nipples and tomorrow I'm going to hook up a gauge and see what I'm actually pulling.

1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD

• kimsmith4807
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jun 2013 19:49 #591138 by kimsmith4807

LarryC wrote: One more little bit of info for you. If you hear the knock, it's wise to pull the spark plugs and look closely for little balls of aluminum on the insulator and base ring.

Not sure if you're pulling my leg Larry or what. Would those balls of aluminum be part of the motor coming apart? Did a plug check, just a little sooty down and around the insulator. No aluminum balls.

1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD

More
06 Jun 2013 20:33 - 06 Jun 2013 20:36 #591141 by LarryC

kimsmith4807 wrote:

LarryC wrote: One more little bit of info for you. If you hear the knock, it's wise to pull the spark plugs and look closely for little balls of aluminum on the insulator and base ring.

Not sure if you're pulling my leg Larry or what. Would those balls of aluminum be part of the motor coming apart? Did a plug check, just a little sooty down and around the insulator. No aluminum balls.

Not pulling your leg Kim. It happens from serious detonation. Glad you're not seeing it.

The pilot circuits are easy to dial in. Count the number of turns for each screw until they are lightly seated [closed]. Start with 2 full turns out from lightly seated. Adjust from there. Generally if you need more than 4 turns out, you want to go up 1 on the pilot. Less than a turn out, you might try going down one on the pilot. In most situations, the stock pilot is plenty if you have a jet kit.

Larry C.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2013 20:36 by LarryC.