How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2013 23:17 - 07 Apr 2013 23:20 #581117 by bountyhunter
How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome was created by bountyhunter
Can't remember how many thousand posts I have seen over the years about gasoline overflow flooding, which happens because the float/needle assembly fails to seal very well for a variety of reasons.

As a matter of maintenance, every six months I would drop the bowls and take the needles and seats out for cleaning and also polish the mating faces to restore a good seal.

Well, I haven't done it for about 5 years now and no problems because I have been using the Lucas upper cylinder lube with carb/injector cleaner and fuel conditioner in it. One ounce for each 3 gallons of gas.

Over time, gas oxidizes into varnish and gunks things up. Also, I noticed in mine the shiny brass parts would oxidize into a rough dull finish eventually making the needle seal crappy.

All I know is, the Lucas fuel conditioner works. I asume it's because it stabilizes the gas and prevents or slows oxidation. So, get your fuel system clean, install good inline filters, and use it and maybe you'll never get the puddles again.

I'm old now and I much prefer riding to repairing....

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Apr 2013 23:20 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2013 04:33 #581146 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome
I usually turn off the gas but soldering the float bowls and maybe preventing them from cracking use water remover in the fuel when it gets cold.

More
08 Apr 2013 13:02 #581191 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome
Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean Lucas was the answer.

I put Lucas Synthetic gear lube in the Diff of my low mile 06 Cadillac CTS, 5000 miles later the pinion bearing was shot. I wouldn't use Lucas to lube a gate hinge!!

To each his own, YMMV

bountyhunter wrote: Can't remember how many thousand posts I have seen over the years about gasoline overflow flooding, which happens because the float/needle assembly fails to seal very well for a variety of reasons.

As a matter of maintenance, every six months I would drop the bowls and take the needles and seats out for cleaning and also polish the mating faces to restore a good seal.

Well, I haven't done it for about 5 years now and no problems because I have been using the Lucas upper cylinder lube with carb/injector cleaner and fuel conditioner in it. One ounce for each 3 gallons of gas.

Over time, gas oxidizes into varnish and gunks things up. Also, I noticed in mine the shiny brass parts would oxidize into a rough dull finish eventually making the needle seal crappy.

All I know is, the Lucas fuel conditioner works. I asume it's because it stabilizes the gas and prevents or slows oxidation. So, get your fuel system clean, install good inline filters, and use it and maybe you'll never get the puddles again.

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams

More
08 Apr 2013 13:38 #581201 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome

bountyhunter wrote: Can't remember how many thousand posts I have seen over the years about gasoline overflow flooding, which happens because the float/needle assembly fails to seal very well for a variety of reasons.

Good to hear that Lucas upper cylinder lube is among the several fuel additives that together with a good in-line filter help keep the carbs internally clean and in good working condition, including proper float valve function. :cheer:

SeaFoam is another popular fuel additive that reportedly works very well.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Apr 2013 15:12 #581207 by steell
Replied by steell on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome

Roadflyer wrote: Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean Lucas was the answer.

I put Lucas Synthetic gear lube in the Diff of my low mile 06 Cadillac CTS, 5000 miles later the pinion bearing was shot. I wouldn't use Lucas to lube a gate hinge!!

To each his own, YMMV

In the same vein, just because you had a problem while using Lucas doesn't mean the Lucas was a problem. :P

Some truck-tractor owners swear by Lucas, I swear at it.

Those Cadillac CTS/STS models are really nice! I went to Kentucky with a friend to pick up an 08 STS.

KD9JUR

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2013 15:42 #581212 by donthaveakawman
what about octane booster I know it doesn't necessarily raise the octane much but what would it do for float needles?

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Apr 2013 16:24 - 08 Apr 2013 16:36 #581219 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome

donthaveakawman wrote: what about octane booster I know it doesn't necessarily raise the octane much but what would it do for float needles?

By coincidence, I always use true octane booster in my gas, the stuff with tetra ethyl lead. I don't know if it has anything to do with keeping fuel from oxidizing, I doubt it.

www.batterystuff.com/fuel-treatments/OS6q.html

I use it for the lead to lube the valves. Maybe not necessary but doesn't hurt.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 Apr 2013 16:36 by bountyhunter.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Apr 2013 16:34 - 08 Apr 2013 16:35 #581220 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome
Have no idea if the Lucas stuff actually increases gas mileage, some reviews say it does. I just used it to keep my injectors clean in my Chevy (which gets driven once or twice a week) and keep the gas fresh and carb insides clean on my Kawi whcih also gets ridden infrequently since my job vanished with the Great Depression of '08. Seems to work well, never had any fuel related problems with either machine.

My wife's old Saturn used to gunk up injectors all the time because it wasn't driven daily. If would smoke and sputter a couple of minutes on start up then clear and run OK. Finally had to have the throttle body and injectors taken off and cleaned, that fixed it. Never ran Lucas through that one.

averagejoeblogs.blogspot.com/2005/09/pro...el-treatment_13.html

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads...owflat&Number=889664

www.amazon.com/Lucas-10003-Cylinder-Lubr...t-reviews/B000ARPVOI

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 Apr 2013 16:35 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Apr 2013 08:01 #581558 by zedninehunner
Replied by zedninehunner on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome
On the same topic,I have overhauled my set of VM26's on my Z900,after re fitting to the bike,had fuel overflowing on 2 of the carbs.Took off again and re checked float heights and all ok,realised that the replacement float valve springs were possibly not strong enough to close off the fuel flow.(Good quality Keyster carb repair kits from Japan via a UK supplier).Re fitted original float valves after cleaning them in ultrasonic bath,re set float heights and hey presto all ok.Bike running superb after synching carbs,no puddles either.Something to think about if you want to overhaul your carbs.

1976 Z900A4, 1977 RD250 , 1999 YZF R6

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2013 23:10 - 12 Apr 2013 23:30 #582058 by donthaveakawman
so the float bowl gasket o-ring is not in question?
I just got some and they don't want to fit right.

Attachment get-attachment1.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2013 23:30 by donthaveakawman.

More
13 Apr 2013 05:21 #582108 by zedninehunner
Replied by zedninehunner on topic How To Avoid Floor Puddle Syndrome
Gaskets not o rings on my VM26's, never worked on carbs with o rings, not sure of Keyster quality for O rings but gaskets they provide are good quality.
Your O ring grooves could do with a clean? I guess the photo is before fitting new ones.

1976 Z900A4, 1977 RD250 , 1999 YZF R6

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2013 12:23 #582137 by donthaveakawman
yeah I just soldered the overflow tube and couldn't get the o-ring to stay in there so I used some gasket sealer- no leaks yet.