Kz900 Carb Recommendation

More
02 Feb 2013 23:17 #570471 by NakedFun
Kz900 Carb Recommendation was created by NakedFun
I am sure this topic has been discussed to death, but here it goes... Currently going to go through my engine. I am going to keep it mostly stock except ignition, coils, exhaust, and velocity stacks as far as engine upgrades that affect combustion go. Depending on bore out of round and cylinder taper, I may try to go high compression, first overbite pistons or a 1015 kit. So I am cleaning and rebuilding my stock 26's and so I thinking about the following options:

1. Keep my 26's for their street ability.
2. Go to an RS34 radial slide carb for future possibilities.
3. Go with WG Carbs VM30 Overbore build.

I am really tempted by the WG option as I can run the 26's now and when I feel like it, send them in for a Overbore job. Thoughts? I have never owned a KZ until now but I am told that bigger carbs are really worth it on a stock engine.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Feb 2013 23:26 #570477 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation
find a set of vm28s off a 79-80 kz1000 B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

More
02 Feb 2013 23:33 #570479 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation
My problem is every time I try to find a set and buy them, the seller backs out or in the case of my EBay attempt, didn't send them or respond! I am cursed when it comes the pumper 28's....

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Feb 2013 00:05 #570481 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation
Send a pm to lushbaugh,hes got a set B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2013 03:43 #570499 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation
80 kz1000 ltd has 34 minuki but what about the intake port, you might need the cylinder head also (if it would fit).

More
03 Feb 2013 03:54 #570503 by NakedFun
Sent Lush a PM. The BS34 carbs are a CV and even though I could get the later intake manifolds, for fun would like to keep mechanical slides.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2013 03:57 #570505 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation

NakedFun wrote: Sent Lush a PM. The BS34 carbs are a CV and even though I could get the later intake manifolds, for fun would like to keep mechanical slides.

Cory

what about the intake ports?

More
03 Feb 2013 10:03 #570520 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation
Head P&P work and cams...?

Also depends on you're riding style... As presented to me on what I planned desired in my first build... Low end torque acceleration (stop line blast off), mid rpm range cruising or WOT type riding.... What was I planning in the build for piston & more importantly head work...

If you're not going high compression pistons, upgrading the cams, porting, riding style etc... stay with nothing more than 29's....

Nothing wrong with the RS34's but a tad too large for the build if the air flow isn't there, damn thing will run like a turd in low rpm...

Also consider if you have to get through emission testing...

If you're going to spend $500-&600 on (hmmm, gee wonder who'd those would come from :whistle: ) over bores, hell spend the extra $100 and buy a brand new set of CR-29's. Even on a built motor, unless truly racing, more than enough carb for a 1075 displacement with P&P head/valve work for 99% of most street bikes.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
03 Feb 2013 11:53 #570529 by NakedFun
Thanks for the replies. I may pull out the die and pot the head as I have done a bit of porting in the past. Really I want a nice quick bike, but not willing to push the envelope with the old air cooled engine. I have two other tuned liter bikes sitting in the garage if I want to pin my ears back....

OMR I'll take another look at the CR29s, but didn't see any for the price you are stating.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
03 Feb 2013 12:17 #570530 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation
Have no idea what the over bore $$$ so I checked, $560 so I miss spoke, extra $150.... :pinch: for those would be re-builts not new...

Keep in mind, you'll also need pods and jetting for either carb selection you go with...

Dynoman - $729....

Dynoma CR-29's

There's also Old School Carbs (Rick) where many folks here have used their service with good - exceptional results...
Old School Carbs website

Case in point, VM 29's for $645... ;)
VM 29's

The last but not least PM timebomb33 (Tim) for he had a set or two of the 28's awhile back, maybe he still has one laying around.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
03 Feb 2013 12:42 #570536 by vernons
Replied by vernons on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation
also rick at old school carbs most likely would have a set of late model 28 pumpers already redone and ready to go at a reasonable price..... check him out

More
03 Feb 2013 13:18 #570544 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Kz900 Carb Recommendation

NakedFun wrote: Thanks for the replies. I may pull out the die and pot the head as I have done a bit of porting in the past. Really I want a nice quick bike, but not willing to push the envelope with the old air cooled engine. I have two other tuned liter bikes sitting in the garage if I want to pin my ears back....

OMR I'll take another look at the CR29s, but didn't see any for the price you are stating.

Cory

29's are a great combo for the street. 34's require some serious engine mods to work well. I settled for that happy medium 31's from Keihin. Mikunis are the deal but the smallest they make now is 34 unless they recently changed that. With a stock engine 28's are really nice. 26 sucks IMHO. I had 28s on my 80 and the bike ran just as hard with the 29's not much difference but the 26's? I felt like I was being severely cramped. A good set of 28's for cheap will do the trick but a set of CRs well, for anyone who has tried them, changes the ballgame. The sound is different and the design is great. Considering what the design of the smoothbores is compared to the CR's it's easy to see that carb technology has come a long way. Still, that said try the 28's first and go from there. You would really have to ride the bike with them on to make your own decisions. I REALLY loved the difference between my 26's and the smoothbores I sold to GREG Z I had those on my bike forever. Went from stifled acceleration to at the end of the day sore back from the hard launches all day long. Those smoothbores are sweet carbs but the CR's are new tech and I think they are a bit better yet. I will say for sure once I have gotten my bike rolling. When I was rolling with a guy that had the original z1 28's and when he switched to the 29 CR carbs the bike had a totally different sound and power to it. Smoothbores and CR's are almost in the same price range these days. If you get lucky you can find a set for 500 if not I have seen them go for more than the CR's which at that point unless you are nostalgic for an OG superbike I would not even hesitate to get the keihins.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200