Engine doesn't start anymore....

More
09 Nov 2012 15:49 #557650 by Bunty27
Engine doesn't start anymore.... was created by Bunty27
After taking my carbs apart, re-building it with a new carb kit, giving it the berryman's treatment and putting it all back together, I finally put it all back on the bike. It came to life immediately and I was all happy. I was able to get it adjust idle but in the process it felt like I drained the battery (since I was turning off the engine a lot).

But now it doesn't want to start anymore. I checked the spark plugs and the sparks look good. The engine itself is turning just fine. But it doesn't want to fire up. I'm concerned about at least one of the carbs being flooded though I thought I set the fuel level correctly. I'm re-charging the battery and I'm going to wait till it's back to full charge before trying to start it up again. Otherwise, I'll pull the carbs out (for the n'th time) to re-check fuel level.

What else should I be looking for? This has never happened before and this bike always started well just before it was having problems revving on load which resulted in me pulling out the carbs for complete cleaning since I had not done it before.

1982 KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2012 16:06 #557652 by Bunty27
Replied by Bunty27 on topic Engine doesn't start anymore....
I pulled out the spark plugs again and they seemed to be a little wet. Could this just be the engine being flooded? I opened the throttle fully while trying to crank it and that didn't help. I've also confirmed that one of the carbs (for cylinder 1) is set to too high of a fuel level. I need to pull the carbs out for sure.

1982 KZ550 LTD

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2012 17:00 - 09 Nov 2012 17:01 #557653 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Engine doesn't start anymore....
fuse blown?

Getting enough volts to the coils....charge battery?

Kill switch on or off....hey I did it once...when I found it on and switched to start....kaboom from the gas in the cyclinder / header....scared the chit out of me..... :( :blink: :blink: :woohoo:
Last edit: 09 Nov 2012 17:01 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
09 Nov 2012 18:03 #557657 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Engine doesn't start anymore....
Sounds like your hunch about weak battery could be it. Give it a full charge, let the flood clear and try again.

I don't touch the gas when starting my KZ750 unless I'm kicking it. Then I blip the throttle twice before kicking. Not sure that actually has any effect, but it's what I do ;)

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
09 Nov 2012 20:54 #557674 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Engine doesn't start anymore....
you may want to check the float levels

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
10 Nov 2012 18:55 #557798 by Bunty27
OK. I'm stumped. I spent a lot of time with the carbs and set the fluid levels correctly and put the carbs back on the vehicle. The bike refuses to start and acts like it's not getting any fire. Here are my findings and hope an expert here can help:

- Compression good on all four cylinders (>150 psi)
- Good spark on all 4 spark plugs
- Spraying starter fluid does not help any bit. :ohmy:
- Trying to "air" the system by turning the throttle a bit during ignition does not seem to help.
- Motor is turning well ( I opened the case where the advancer is and saw the rod turn)
- Fuel is passing through all jets fine including pilot. I just installed new rebuild set (yes, I set the main jet needle at the right setting though this shouldn't matter for startup?). These are TK-22 carbs.

The fact that even the start fuild isn't helping suggests that this is not a fuel issue but more a fire issue but the sparks look good so I'm stumped. This is the first time it's started to do this. It always started once I had the choke on; I had it on this time too. I really really need help. Patton, Lou, where are you guys? :)

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
10 Nov 2012 19:22 #557802 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine doesn't start anymore....
Where there's compression and fuel and spark, the spark may be occurring at the wrong time, which might be caused by incorrect routing of the plug wires from the coils.

Would first double-check to assure that plug wires from the left-side coil with the small green wire are connected to the inside plugs.
And that the plug wires from the right-side coil with the small black wire are connected to the outside plugs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2012 21:08 #557812 by Bunty27
Thanks Patton. I'll check the wiring order by I'm fairly certain I have them right.

Meanwhile, I'd like to note that my starting fluid comment may not be valid. I had the airbox and vent hoses all connected and I sprayed the starting fluid directly onto the carbs. I did not have access to the intake's since the carbs were fully installed.

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
10 Nov 2012 21:23 #557814 by Patton

Bunty27 wrote: ...my starting fluid comment may not be valid. I had the airbox and vent hoses all connected and I sprayed the starting fluid directly onto the carbs. I did not have access to the intake's since the carbs were fully installed.

Perhaps could remove the air filter and spray toward the carb intakes while attempting to start the engine.
Might help to open the throttle momentarily while spraying and cranking to increase amount of spray being sucked into the combustion chambers.
Or spray into each vacuum nipple before spinning over the engine.

Could also remove a spark plug immediately after an unsuccessful attempt at starting the engine to determine whether there's evidence of fuel on the plug tip.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunty27

More
12 Nov 2012 00:18 #557986 by Bunty27
I did the starter fluid without the air-filter method and still nothing. I did notice fluid on the spark plugs the last time I tried this but I'll look again in the morning.

If the sparks are good, the plugs are in the right order, fuel seems to be getting to the engine and the compression is good (150 psi in each cylinder), what could be preventing the start? I hear the engine turning and during the crank and turn, I even hear some thuds from inside the engine. I'm guessing it's just from the engine turning. No????

I'm surprised that starter fluid didn't do anything. I even had the throttle open to let air into the chamber. Hmm.....I really need a few more ideas....

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
12 Nov 2012 00:54 #557994 by Patton
Could try the following:

Remove the fuel line from petcock.
Drain the carbs.
Remove spark plugs.
Spray starter fluid down into each spark plug hole.
Leave plugs out for a few minutes to allow combustion chambers to dry out.
Install brand new spark plugs.
Do NOT re-connect fuel line.

Remove the air filter and spray toward the carb intakes while attempting to start the engine.
Might help to open the throttle momentarily while spraying and cranking to increase amount of spray being sucked into the combustion chambers.

Whether or not the engine runs for a few seconds could help with future diagnosis.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Nov 2012 12:48 #558050 by Bunty27
Thanks much Patton.

I drained the carbs and removed the spark plugs this morning to let everything dry out inside. I'll get new spark plugs this afternoon and will try out everything you suggested with the new spark plugs and starter fluid. I'll let you know how it goes soon.

1982 KZ550 LTD