Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 650 Carb problem 12 May 2006 12:42 #46837

• shakyone
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If you have the accelerator pump on #2 carb, depress the pump arm and make certain that you can see a spray into the carb. This could be one reason for your initial problem with the engine bogging.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 650 Carb problem 12 May 2006 12:43 #46838

• shakyone
  • User
If you have the accelerator pump on #2 carb, depress the pump arm and make certain that you can see a spray into the carb. This could be one reason for your initial problem with the engine bogging.

1979 650 Carb problem 12 May 2006 12:43 #46839

• shakyone
  • User

1979 650 Carb problem 12 May 2006 20:49 #46923

• Jason01
  • Jason01's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Well, I got the ignition sorted out. Works great now, well, the ignition does anyways. Left the needles on the 3rd clip. It still has a bad bog if you open the throttle suddenly. If you ease into it, it will rev, and once past ~4500 RPM, you can snap it to full throttle. If you hold it there though, it will backfire. I think tommorow AM I am going to put the needle on the 2nd clip to lean out the top part of the throttle. If that doesn't cure the backfiring, I am going to have to go to smaller mains. I also think that I need either a 17.5 or 20 primary, as I am going to assume that It is not getting enough fuel when you open the throttle, and is the reason for the bog. Another clue that the primarys are too small is that if you open the choke ~1/3 open, the bog is mostly gone, however, the backfiring at topend is worse. Adjusting the air bleed screws don't seem to do much(however, they are clear, not plugged, I have verified this on every carb with a shot of carb cleaner)

Is there any way to enlarge the primary jets without having to buy new ones(ie..drill them out), or have I been huffing too much exhaust?

Also, the accelarator pump is working properly. It does add fuel.

• Page: