Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 28 Apr 2006 18:42 #43514

• heartless
  • heartless's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
well, have managed to get three of the for pilot jets loose...one is just being a little more stubborn, but I will prevail, eventually! :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 29 Apr 2006 11:40 #43681

• heartless
  • User
well, got the fourth pilot screw out today, and started to take the rack apart - nervously! :P

have carbs one and two off the rack and separated, but have hit another stumbling point - cant figure out how to get the choke plunger off the carb without tearing up the brass nut. the nut is only 3-4 mm in thickness, not much there to grab hold of. cant get a socket on there, no room around it for a socket to fit down in. a regular open end wrench will go on, but no room to turn the thing...
HELP!!! :S

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 29 Apr 2006 14:02 #43702

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
heartless wrote:

well, got the fourth pilot screw out today, and started to take the rack apart - nervously! :P

have carbs one and two off the rack and separated, but have hit another stumbling point - cant figure out how to get the choke plunger off the carb without tearing up the brass nut. the nut is only 3-4 mm in thickness, not much there to grab hold of. cant get a socket on there, no room around it for a socket to fit down in. a regular open end wrench will go on, but no room to turn the thing...
HELP!!! :S

What if You were to grind down the sides of a socket(a junk-one)?...would it fit THEN,or is it that limited,as far as space goes?
What size is the nut,in question?(wrench-size?)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 29 Apr 2006 19:27 #43768

• heartless
  • User
size is about a 12mm - slightly sloppy, but an 11mm is too small. not sure if cutting an old socket down would work or not...it is in a wierd spot. kind of cuts into the flare of the upper part of the carb...hard to describe, and my camera doesnt take very good close-up pics.

might have to give cutting a socket a try, just to see if it will work! :P dont have any other ides at the moment - short of trying to locate a set of offset wrenches...hmmm....new tools! :D

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 29 Apr 2006 19:27 #43769

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Be sure to keep each carb's components together. For that reason I only disassembled one carb at a time. Patience is a real virtue when working with carbs (something I'm too often in short supply of).

I think my gas leak on the SR was due to some cheap clear line I used that got hard (not fuel grade?) and wasn't sealing well any more so I replaced that today with heavy duty line and put on a high flow filter from Z1 as well. Things seem to be improved now. Time will tell. I think I ridded myself of a flow constriction as well as the old line had developed a kink just above the Tee.

I'm still going to go with a Pingle on the 650B when I get that far.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 15 May 2006 16:29 #47517

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Bump...

Any progress?
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 16 May 2006 05:56 #47666

• heartless
  • User
yes, actually, a lot of progress!! :P havent checked this thread in about a week...

A special "thank you" to Sandy for the socket idea - it worked very well! (the 12 point works better than a 6 point tho!!)

Really liked the carb kit from z1 - had pretty much everything one could need in it...

so - for an update on my progress -
carbs were completely disassembled
thoroughly cleaned (found a plugged passage or two in the process - no wonder the poor thing wasnt idling very well!)
new pieces and parts are installed in the clean carbs.
carb rack is re-assembled (except for the choke slide - need to get that back in yet), and I am waiting on an auxiliary fuel tank so i can check float levels (should be here by end of the week).
once float levels are established, it will be time to get them back on the bike and hope like h#ll she fires so i can get things set...(another use for the aux. tank...figured with 4 carbed bikes, purchasing one wouldnt be too bad an idea)
as a side note, got the fuel tank all cleaned out, new petcock installed and have new fuel line and an inline filter waiting and ready to go.

Post edited by: heartless, at: 2006/05/16 08:58

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly**update! completed** 21 May 2006 13:37 #48910

• heartless
  • User
well, got everything back together - set float levels (wet) got carbs back on the bike...and she runs GREAT!!!!! :woohoo:
had to fiddle just a tiny bit with the idle, but WOW what a difference a good cleaning and some new parts makes...starts with only half choke when cold (was upper 50's out this morning), warms up quickly (used to take a good 10-15 minutes - now 2-3 tops)

took it for a test run to see how she did on the road - 70 miles later and I am still grinning from ear to ear!! Very responsive, when i crack the throttle, she goes!!

Might take her in for a sync check later (dont have a syncroniser & no cash to get one right now) but for all intents and purposes, she is running top notch. :) :laugh: :woohoo: :evil:

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 21 May 2006 16:03 #48927

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
KZ_Rage wrote:

Strange little program here for editing posts... one or two goofs on posting a photo and you can't modify with a photo anymore, options gone... glitch or gitch?

I've noticed this too. It appears that the image file system is set up to prevent overwriting. Work around is to change the file name.

-Duck

• Page: