condenser.. kz 1000

More
10 Apr 2006 11:21 #38304 by kzjames
condenser.. kz 1000 was created by kzjames
I want to move to an enectronic ignition set up, however.. I am a little aprehensive.

I have points on the 77 kz 1000. I have had 3 sets of condensers go bad (just one side- but you cant replace just one side) in the past 3 years. I am concerned that whatever is burning out the condensor will also cause problems with the electronic ignition.. and it will be a much more expensive problem than replacing the $8 condensor unit....

what would cause a condensor to burn out, short or whatever it is that makes it bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2006 13:29 #38330 by steell
Replied by steell on topic condenser.. kz 1000
Heat and vibration would be my guess, excessive voltage would do it also, but you would have other indications if that were the cause (like light bulbs blowing).

KD9JUR

More
10 Apr 2006 23:01 #38545 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic condenser.. kz 1000
Ignition coils could possibly cause a condenser to go bad, I suppose. Try swapping ignition coils and see if that causes the other condenser to go bad.

While you're at it, check that both have around 4 ohms resistance on the primary side.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
11 Apr 2006 04:10 #38558 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic kettering ignition (breaker points)
Read about it here .

Not shown is a series resistor, battery to coil. This limits the peak current into and out of the coils primary.

More
11 Apr 2006 05:28 #38570 by kzjames
Replied by kzjames on topic kettering ignition (breaker points)
Thanks. Nothing else burning out. I have had electrical issues with this bike before (why can't I ever just buy a NEW bike) but I thought I was past those issues...