Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
16 Apr 2010 05:41 #361050 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
Old Man Rock wrote:

Based on your post symptoms and reporting...

"Upsized main jets (from standard 102.5) to 107.5"...
Why was this done for this is a fairly large jump in mains jets...

The symptom you're describing seems the term "Falling on it's face" when describing carb issues. Based on the Jett charting graph below... running Lean! @ 5Krpm, this would be ~ 3/4 range right between needle and main operations.

As mentioned, go back to 102 jet and take for a test ride, hit the 5Krpm range and make note of performance. If all good, then tackle mid rpm range needle clip position/jet.

Good luck...

OMR

That's kind of cool...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2010 05:43 #361053 by Fergie
Replied by Fergie on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
Motor Head wrote:

You don't say if it ran right before the 4 into 1, these require a bigger step up in main jetting, but fist you must make sure your not having another issue. First as suggested make sure your floats are all set to the correct level, as if low this will lean your carb's and high rich.
As far as the washer at the needle position, you can check your manual to be sure of it's inclusion or position. When tuning carb's try to get a plug reading when operated under the same condition, bring you plug wrench and pull over and pull them all out after running at the problem area. Motors are Air Pumps, 4 into 1 means it will pump more air, so more fuel needed to keep the correct air/ fuel ratio. Sounds simple right? It may take 1 adjustment of jets or it may take several, be patient.

Bought the bike with the 4-1. The washer is not shown on the manual. Interestingly when I got the bike it did not have an air filter fitted. It was my first bike after passing my test a couple of years ago so lack of power at the higher speeds was not an issue. Now with more experiance its getting more and more frustrating. Its especially annoying on the dual carrigeway as its worse at about 70mph.

Z650-F4 1984 UK Spec
JMC Aluminium swingarm.
Harris 4-1 exhaust.

More
16 Apr 2010 05:47 #361054 by Fergie
Old Man Rock wrote:

Based on your post symptoms and reporting...

"Upsized main jets (from standard 102.5) to 107.5"...
Why was this done for this is a fairly large jump in mains jets...

The symptom you're describing seems the term "Falling on it's face" when describing carb issues. Based on the Jett charting graph below... running Lean! @ 5Krpm, this would be ~ 3/4 range right between needle and main operations.

As mentioned, go back to 102 jet and take for a test ride, hit the 5Krpm range and make note of performance. If all good, then tackle mid rpm range needle clip position/jet.

Good luck...

OMR

Upsized jets on info on the internet. ie 4-1 may need bigger jets. Did not seem to make much difference to be honest.

Will try fitting the originals and go back as far as possible to factory settings and try again from there.

The diagram is great. as I said before it is at about 5000rpm but it is worse on full throttle. Ease off a little and it improves but still lack of power.

Thanks. Will report back

Z650-F4 1984 UK Spec
JMC Aluminium swingarm.
Harris 4-1 exhaust.

More
16 Apr 2010 06:03 #361059 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
Keep in mind, all the jets overlap each other... ;)

Insure no vacuum leaks on the intakes (I use vacuum grease, works wonders), no cable binding etc...

You're close, keep at it...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
16 Apr 2010 13:29 - 16 Apr 2010 13:32 #361159 by Fergie
Okay, just had the carbs off again.

Here they are on the bench.

Checked the float levels again. The Clymer manual I have says that the float level should be 18mm. They measure 18mm to line 2 but should this be to line 1?? See below.

Tried everything else so set the level of 18mm to 1 and refitted the carbs. Left the upsized main jets in at this stage (107.5).

Fired her up and tried a quick run. At small throttle turn it runs okay but a bit more throttle and she just bogs down and starts to splutter and die.

Will try going back to original main jet tomorrow (why I originally removed the carbs this time) and see what happens.

Stewart

Z650-F4 1984 UK Spec
JMC Aluminium swingarm.
Harris 4-1 exhaust.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2010 13:32 by Fergie.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
16 Apr 2010 15:33 #361185 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
Check the needles and make sure they are in stock position.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
16 Apr 2010 22:05 - 16 Apr 2010 22:10 #361258 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
Fergie wrote:

...I have had the carbs off (at least 3 times) and checked the float levels seem okay. 18.6mm in the Clymer manual?

Fuel heights. Do you need a special tool for that or can I measure it with a tube from the drain pipe.

Can anyone also confirm the spark plug gap. On searching the internet there seems to be a bigger gap recommended for 3ohm coils??....

The physical float height measurement with carbs upside down on the workbench is notoriously inaccurate. Getting the fuel level anywhere close to spec with this method is imo pretty lucky.

The clear tube test is very accurate, and reveals the true fuel level with carbs fully assembled in usual position under normal operating conditions.

The standard spark plug gap should be just fine. In my experience, most new NGK plugs come properly gapped right out of the box.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Apr 2010 22:10 by Patton.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2010 05:29 #361274 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
Patton wrote:

Fergie wrote:

...I have had the carbs off (at least 3 times) and checked the float levels seem okay. 18.6mm in the Clymer manual?

Fuel heights. Do you need a special tool for that or can I measure it with a tube from the drain pipe.

Can anyone also confirm the spark plug gap. On searching the internet there seems to be a bigger gap recommended for 3ohm coils??....

The physical float height measurement with carbs upside down on the workbench is notoriously inaccurate. Getting the fuel level anywhere close to spec with this method is imo pretty lucky.

The clear tube test is very accurate, and reveals the true fuel level with carbs fully assembled in usual position under normal operating conditions.

The standard spark plug gap should be just fine. In my experience, most new NGK plugs come properly gapped right out of the box.

Good Fortune! :)

Yep.... that's the best method for checking the fuel level.

If everything, including timing advancer is working correctly, the problem is most likely the needle.

When working with CV carbs, the fastest route to success is to buy a jet kit. They come with new needles that are tapered correctly for operation without the airbox installed.

Generally OEM CV carb needles have extremely gradual first tapers on the needles. Lifting them with washers doesn't have much affect.

If all the mechanical elements are correct for the bike, then buy the jet kit and put it in with baseline settings. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and time.

Larry C

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Apr 2010 07:34 #361303 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
follow Pattons advice. a clear tube from the drain pipe.
it sounds like a lean condition. 102.5 to 107.5 is not a big jump at all(onlt 2 sizes), when u have a major fuel issue.
what is the stock main jet size for this bike?
what was the dif in operation befor and after adding air filters? u said it had no air filter at all before, right?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
17 Apr 2010 13:46 #361355 by Fergie
Okay, went back to the 102.5. This is the stock main jet size. Clip in central position. No washer. Checked the fuel levels with a clear tube. 1-3 seemed fine but 4 was a bit out.

Took off the bowl and had a closer look at the float. On first viewing it seemed identical to the others but took it off had a closer look and refitted it. During this I noticed that when pushing it down it fouled on the inside of the carb. Took it off and noticed that it was very, very slightly different to the other three. I think it has been replaced at some time in its history. Gave it a tweak to avoid it fouling. This was only by no more than 1/2 a mm or so but enough. Refitted and tried.

Much better. Feels good. Slight loss of power at about 5000rpm but easy to "manage" past this point.

Not far off now I think. Bit more work tomorrow and I think I may have cracked it. Might also try the 107.5 back in as I think this might be okay for a 4-1 exhaust.

Thanks

Stewart

Z650-F4 1984 UK Spec
JMC Aluminium swingarm.
Harris 4-1 exhaust.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Apr 2010 14:56 - 17 Apr 2010 14:58 #361362 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Hesitation / lack of power around 5k rpm
i completly missed Larrys post. Larry, has a lot of experiance with carbs, and valid points.B)
what happens after 5000rpm?
does it happen at the same throttle opening in dif gears?
carb problems are more to slide position (throttle position)than rpm.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 17 Apr 2010 14:58 by mark1122.

More
18 Apr 2010 00:32 #361435 by Fergie
Like I say it is better now but I think it is worst at full throttle. Ease off slightly and it pulls better again. Thats why I am going to try the bigger main jets again today.

Thanks

Stewart

Z650-F4 1984 UK Spec
JMC Aluminium swingarm.
Harris 4-1 exhaust.