Vacuum petcock vs non vacuum

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
20 Nov 2009 04:52 #334802 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Vacuum petcock vs non vacuum
Thank you Patton, that explains everything.
I've been toying with the idea of replacing my stock 78 carbs with a set of 76ers that seem to operate a lot smoother than the originals, but the vacuum thing was holding me back from giving it a try.

Regards, JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2009 15:24 #335230 by deftones5792
Replied by deftones5792 on topic Vacuum petcock vs non vacuum
Hello again,

I ended up replacing the petcock without an issue and have plugged the vacuum line at the end of the hose (where it previously attached to the petcock). Any issue with doing it that way? Also, I now have a new issue.

The old petcock had the fuel and vacuum connections perpendicular to the bike (facing the engine) with the switch facing out. The new petcock has the fuel connection parallel to the bike (pointing towards the rear tire). The new petcock does not leak BUT since the connection is facing a new direction, the fuel line is not long enough. Thus, I will have to add some line. I did so but it leaks like crazy. What is the proper method for coupling fuel lines?

I think the existing line is 5/16 so I bought 5/16 fuel line from Auto Zone with a 5/16 coupler and some hose clamps. The coupler does not fit securely in the 5/16 tube so I used 1/4" fuel line (bought from a bike shop for draining the tank) with the clamps. As I said, it leaked like crazy. Is there a difference between fuel lines for cars and bikes? I'm not even sure if I bought the correct sized line. Any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.