Ready to pull my hair out!

More
07 Oct 2009 02:26 #325951 by Leather
Ready to pull my hair out! was created by Leather
Ok ok. I'm about to scream here. I replaced the carb boots to the engine. I keep having this throttle problem. the bike wants to rev VERY high with a slow drop to idle I've checked the cable routing,the ol' oil test for air leaks,the petcock,the choke, you name it.. Any suggestions??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2009 04:08 - 07 Oct 2009 04:09 #325955 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
You'll have to provide us some more info such as which bike, which carbs, after market exhaust & pods vs. stock, have you worked/re-built the carbs themselves etc....

Sticking floats?
Gummed up jets?

Once warmed up, stop/start motor, does it still rev high on start up?

Example:
The choke system is used to start cold engines. Since the fuel in a cold engine is sticking to the cylinder walls due to condensation, the mixture is too lean for the engine to start. The choke system will add fuel to the engine to compensate for the fuel that is stuck to the cylinder walls. Once the engine is warmed up, condensation is not a problem, and the choke is not needed.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 04:09 by Old Man Rock. Reason: Wouldn't attach a .doc file!

More
07 Oct 2009 04:48 #325961 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
Advancer unit might be sticking.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Oct 2009 07:50 #325987 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
it is lean on the pilot circuit if it has fuel screws(located on engine side) try turning them out 1/2 turn at a time. if it has air screws (airbox side of carb) turn them in 1/2 turn at a time either way the pilots need to be richened up. that is why it wont return to idle properly.also make double sure all the screws are even ly out from the seated position 1 1/4-1/2 is standard on most carbs try this and see if the problem gets better.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
07 Oct 2009 07:59 #325992 by MadMac74
Replied by MadMac74 on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
I was kinda thinking you had an air leak on your intake boots. Between the carb bodies and the head itself, spray some carbcleaner around the mating surfaces an listen for an increase in revs. I had a similar problem once that was resolved my the use if high temp sillycone which gave me a good seal between the head and the boots.:) good luck .

MAC B)

'78 KZ650 C2,810 conversion,stock kz 750 cams,with a Blueprinted Head both from a '81 KZ 750. BS 34 Mikunis, Mac /Kerker 4 into 1 with custom 2" comp baffle. 3 rd owner
'02 ZRX1200R, 3rd owner
'83 XR200R, 3 rd owner
'84 V65 Sabre 3 rd owner

More
08 Oct 2009 16:49 #326245 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
Sorry about that Old man rock and fellows!
Its an 80-750E running pods and a kerker header and canister.
Was running fine . I didnt explain what the problem is very well. the bike cranks fine and will idle all day as long if I dont blip the throttle.It's when I do that it takes a good while for it to fall back to idle. I've checked the throttle cable to be sure there are no hang ups, checked the boots for leaks as you fellows suggested. Even had the silicon on the bases like was suggested ,when I installed them. Thought it might be a sticking slide or to on these CV carbs .
Or that one or more of the diaphrams in them might have gotten torn.. nope. Bike will crank and idel fine , till you bump the throttle ... I've lubed the cable, checked it routing, checked the linkage to the carbs fron the cable.. Any suggestions???

More
08 Oct 2009 18:12 #326282 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
A bit off topic, but you shouldn't use silicone on anything that's subjected to fuel or fuel fumes. The fuel will destroy the sealer quickly. Besides, new carb boots don't need any sealant to seal properly. They are new after all.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
08 Oct 2009 18:37 #326289 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
Have you checked to see if one header does not heat up as fast or heat at all? It might point you at a carb.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
08 Oct 2009 18:43 #326292 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
When did it start doing this? Was it after pods were installed?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• ArthurGoVroom
  • User
  • I'd rather ride it than shine it
More
08 Oct 2009 19:37 #326306 by ArthurGoVroom
Replied by ArthurGoVroom on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
+1 for checking your air screw settings. If the air screws are not all equal it can cause erratic idling. Also might check how close the carbs are synchronized and ensure the pilot jets and pilot passages in the carbs are nice and clean.

I have found on some other types of engines that when the idle circuit fuel settings aren't right, you have to turn the idle speed setting screw in higher (throttles open more). Then when you try to decelerate an engine in that condition, it wants to continue to rev. They will idle normally when you first start the engine, then once you throttle up they will not slow back down. HTH.

1976 KZ900A4, 4-1 header, rear lowering kit, grab bar removed, still shining and painting parts as time permits

More
09 Oct 2009 00:06 - 09 Oct 2009 00:09 #326336 by ssalyer
Replied by ssalyer on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
I'm having the same problem! It started happening after I put on a new old fuel tank. Also, If I leave the petcock open when the motor is off it starts spilling fuel from the #1 carb. The tank was coated and I use a inline filter but I'm wondering if some particle got through the filter and is causing the problem. The filter is new and there is already a lot of crap in it that I can see. Scott

1978 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 09 Oct 2009 00:09 by ssalyer.

More
09 Oct 2009 10:07 - 09 Oct 2009 10:08 #326389 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Ready to pull my hair out!
SSLAYER:
I think you answered your own question. If you have a new filter and it quickly builds up junk you can see then your tank or petcock is crappy. (Crappy= tech term) Remove tank, petcock. Remove petcock bowl clean filter. Clean tank with white vinegar. Usually won't hurt paint. Usually. Flush with water and then dry out, then rinse with vinegar again and put in gas right away or flash rust will set up quickly. At least that's how I'd do it. You might get a couple weird smells with the first tank of gas and the occasional "you want fries with that?" comment but everything should be fine. Now if you get big flakes of rust coming out you might want to look into a tank liner product after de-scaling. I have used both Kreem and Red Kote with no bad effects. You do have to follow their directions tho. GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 09 Oct 2009 10:08 by Locozuna. Reason: addressing