'79 KZ650C Misses/Backfires (cont.)

More
24 Jun 2009 17:22 #301831 by 2006hhr
Replied by 2006hhr on topic '79 KZ650C Misses/Backfires (cont.)
Definately get the Dyna S, think of it this way, a set of points and condensers are about what, $30-40 a set. The Dyna Ignition is $125 shipped. So for the cot of 3 points changes, you have a set and forget ignition. It will work with the stock coils even, though a set of Dyna 3 ohms are worth their cost too. I got lucky with my $250 project, as the previous owner installed a set of Dyna coils chasing an ignition bug. Turned out the points were corroded to the point i could not remove the points or condenser in seperate pieces. Now tuning the new wbay carbs for pods. my old carbs are jetted for them, so i probably just need to swap everything over.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 18:41 #301857 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '79 KZ650C Misses/Backfires (cont.)
If not already done, sometimes it helps to pull a business card between the points contacts while adding a little extra finger pressure, to assure all foreign matter is removed from the contacts.

Could first clean the contacts with points cleaner spray or common household rubbing alcohol to remove any traces of oil or other possible contamination before pulling through the business card.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Hayward
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '79 KZ650
More
24 Jun 2009 20:53 #301888 by Hayward
Replied by Hayward on topic '79 KZ650C Misses/Backfires (cont.)
Thanks, 2006hhr & Patton ! I tried to talk my brother out of $150. but he has already picked up new points, condenser, & plugs. I have business that takes me out of town a few days, then I'll come back and start over anew. Maybe next attempt I can get the timing set.

• Hayward
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '79 KZ650
More
29 Jun 2009 19:55 #303235 by Hayward
Replied by Hayward on topic '79 KZ650C Misses/Backfires (cont.)
HELP !!! After 4 days off with family business, I'm back to working on this project. I am installing new points and as attempting the static(?) timing with ohm meter. 1 & 4 points are grounded. First I thought it was how I wired the points. I pulled both condenser and harness wire off and found the ground in the harness. I can pull the neg.(-) wire off either coil, turn on with the key, or unplug black wire in harness and the wire is clear. ??? I am stumped. When setting the old points I had no problem with the ohm meter setting the F mark for timing either set of points. What happened ?