kz750n2 spectre airbox boots

More
22 Mar 2009 08:15 #274196 by baddjonny
kz750n2 spectre airbox boots was created by baddjonny
Does anybody have the easy way of installing the boots my hands are a mess feels like I'v been punching bricks the last two days the boots are old and stiff so I put them in real hot water first and spray them with dishwashing liquid but it's still a mutter #@$@! to install.Took over 4 hours to install #3 and 4 giving my hands a day to recoup .
what am I doing wrong the carbs and air box are mounted solid and I'm pushing the hoses through the airbox holes.
help thank you
jon b

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2009 08:32 #274203 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
New boots are very pliable. I would simply buy new boots; you won't regret it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Mar 2009 08:48 #274214 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
Here they are! :cheer:

Soft pliable air box hoses from Z1E

Good Luck!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Mar 2009 08:50 #274216 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
out of stock right now.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
22 Mar 2009 09:14 #274221 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
According to Kawasaki.com these are still available from Kawasaki they are called Inlet Ducts and the part number is 14073-1032 (please check). Ron Ayers list them for $10.35 each. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Mar 2009 10:12 #274231 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
New boots. Then

Then let your hands heal. You won't regret it. Plus after, keep your new boots oiled so it takes a long time to harden them up.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
22 Mar 2009 14:48 - 22 Mar 2009 15:37 #274279 by Darryl
Replied by Darryl on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
I bought a set Intake holders & Carb Holders from Z1E. What a big difference
from the old ones.

Will folding the boots over on itself damage the boot?

1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 D2 Spectre
Last edit: 22 Mar 2009 15:37 by Darryl.

More
22 Mar 2009 15:00 #274284 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
I was wondering the same thing about folding the boot over itself, does that stretch it out? What do you mean by keeping them oiled? I bought new carb holders and boots and would like them to last a long time. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
22 Mar 2009 15:24 #274295 by Locozuna
Was taught that by my brother who had been doing it for years. I have boots on 3 KAws. One set is 4 years old and soft as day 1. No stretch and I do this at least once a year. Next bike is maybe 2 years and another was done last year. I don't keep them folded. Just to put in the carbs so they are folded for about 30 seconds. As for oiled he taught me to hit them with Silicone Spray or Armour All about once a month. Bro said he had always done it and he rode and wrenched for over 40 years. Now I wouldn't do it any other way. I don't have any use for pods and like my knuckles and skin to be painless. They are and I don't dread taking off the carbs or putting them back on. Throttle cable's a bitch but a good pair of hemostats takes the pain out of that too. ;)

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
22 Mar 2009 16:04 #274319 by BERT75
Replied by BERT75 on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
If you find where you can order these please some post a link Z1e is out of stock and I cannot seem to find them any where online. I just took my carb off to clean and noticed that 1 and 4 are hard as rocks sad to see someone else is having the same prob. hopefully we can kill 2 birds. thanks

83 KZ750 F1-LTD

More
22 Mar 2009 16:19 #274326 by Locozuna
Bert it's a very common thing and has led some to give up in frustration and go to pods that can produce other undesirable results. Other people just like pods. I will say this I have yet to find a way to soften boots that have become hard. Boiling and sealing them in oil rich environments have produced no good results. I have 4 sets of hard pods and have tried all the tricks people have mentioned with ZERO luck in softening them. Hope you can find new boots. Take care of them and your efforts will be rewarded. Fold them and your temper will stay checked.

Eventually I'm sure they will heat harden. But I have 4 years on a set that is baby soft as the first day I got them. No stretch and no cracks from flexing. I guess the oil/silicone keeps them from drying out by sealing them.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
22 Mar 2009 16:21 #274327 by baddjonny
Replied by baddjonny on topic kz750n2 spectre airbox boots
Thanks for the replys got #2 about 75% on I just have to spin it a bit to get the angle right. I bought these hoses from fleabay with a airbox for $12 plus ship was also suposed to have a good filter in it too when I checked it against mine it was totally different was marked spectre in grease pen but the plastic case was marked yamaha emails to the yard I got it from were never returned. The hoses look and fit ok at least the two I got on also noticed there numbered 1 2 3 4 where the clamp fits on the carb end just bought the bike $500 it's bin sitting a few years just did a quick cleanup dumped the old gas and pulled the carbs and jetted them out with gumout and some fine copper wire a couple of jets were cloged replaced the fuel line with methanol proof stuf .Hooked a jumper cable everything worked but all can't always go good found out the starter clutch is hurting concedering it only cranks a few compressions the engine poped off after 10 or 15 tries and sounds fine .
Should I just replace the rollers and springs or also go for a hub???

Thanks again
jon b