Pods or Airbox on a KZ900 with Smoothbores?

More
19 Feb 2009 16:39 #266248 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Pods or Airbox on a KZ900 with Smoothbores?
I tend to agree about the K&N pods and the Emgo pods flowing the same. That is, when they are new... when the Emgos get a bit dirty, they don't flow as well as when new and I suspect their performance drops off. I use both on my test bikes but I never use dirty Emgo filters... they usually get scrunched and way out of shape long before they get dirty but jetting is pretty much the same. I LIKE using a Z1 airbox with a K&N filter on any of my bikes. There is TONS of room on both the LTD and A model for 76 (battery removes differently). The airbox fits back towards the battery and is supported by the front battery cross brace so you don't have to tie it up to support it. It also doesn't touch or contact the the 76 side covers. Use the 74 Z1 airbox with a K&N... 120 mains, 17.5 pilots and 5DL31-3. Suggest you start with air screws about 1/8 to 1/4 turns out... they will need little adjustment from there. As to gas mileage, I have no idea as I haven't really compared the 29s to 26s as has been noted but I also suspect that you might be on the 29s a bit more than the 26s. I prefer 26s on my personal ride (KZ1000E1) which now has a Z1 airbox and K&N filter... with a MAC 4 into 2, I use almost stock jetting on a set of 77 VM26SS... I think I have 110 mains, 15 pilots and jet needle clipped to stock position... the K&N drop in flows no better than the paper drop in in the Z1 airbox btw.... not as far as I can tell.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Russ Jackson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Feb 2009 03:36 #266448 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Pods or Airbox on a KZ900 with Smoothbores?
wiredgeorge wrote:

I tend to agree about the K&N pods and the Emgo pods flowing the same. That is, when they are new... when the Emgos get a bit dirty, they don't flow as well as when new and I suspect their performance drops off. I use both on my test bikes but I never use dirty Emgo filters... they usually get scrunched and way out of shape long before they get dirty but jetting is pretty much the same. I LIKE using a Z1 airbox with a K&N filter on any of my bikes. There is TONS of room on both the LTD and A model for 76 (battery removes differently). The airbox fits back towards the battery and is supported by the front battery cross brace so you don't have to tie it up to support it. It also doesn't touch or contact the the 76 side covers. Use the 74 Z1 airbox with a K&N... 120 mains, 17.5 pilots and 5DL31-3. Suggest you start with air screws about 1/8 to 1/4 turns out... they will need little adjustment from there. As to gas mileage, I have no idea as I haven't really compared the 29s to 26s as has been noted but I also suspect that you might be on the 29s a bit more than the 26s. I prefer 26s on my personal ride (KZ1000E1) which now has a Z1 airbox and K&N filter... with a MAC 4 into 2, I use almost stock jetting on a set of 77 VM26SS... I think I have 110 mains, 15 pilots and jet needle clipped to stock position... the K&N drop in flows no better than the paper drop in in the Z1 airbox btw.... not as far as I can tell.

This is what I am talking about. And why this site is so great. I would have jerked around with this set up for who knows how long. Driving around the block, stopping, adjusting, and getting irritated. And in one paragraph wiredgeorge steps up with a lifetime of experience and cleans the whole deal up with all the necessary parts and sizes I will need. Just think about how much time he saved me. Thank You wiredgeorge...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.