VM26 carbs with Accelerator pump-Won't idle down.

More
04 Feb 2009 07:17 #262114 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic VM26 carbs with Accelerator pump-Won't idle down.
The return springs on a Z1 can not be left off the carbs as they have no way of closing. These return springs go around the throttle shaft and on early Z1s there were two springs and they are VERY stout... too much effort is needed to open them in my opinion. When they got to the 76 KZ900, a different arrangement of spring is used. There is a single return spring. There are actually two springs used... one for the larger VM carbs and another for the VM24. The spring from the VM24 will not adequately close the larger carbs as its pull is too weak. Some springs seem to get stretched over time or weak and won't adequately close the throttle and the bike's idle won't come down. The spring must be replaced. I buy these springs in bulk from an aftermarket source for use in my business and they are only a buck or two each (unlike the OEM). The secret is to find one the same length and same wire gauge. You can likely find an appropriate spring at your hardware store if you take you old spring down and compare. Most hardware bought springs don't have the swivel-hooks that the OEM spring has but have closed loop ends and these work just fine. If you test a LOT of carburetors, you will begin to feel a week spring immediately. First time it happened to me, I was at a loss as to what was going on as the bike wouldn't idle down and once figured out, there is a distinct feel to a week spring even while tuning the carbs before riding.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2009 08:29 #262124 by KruZer
Thanks to both of you for continuing to give me thought and insight into these issue.
I agree that the OEM spring is highly over priced so maybe I'll look around for an aftermarket unit.

Thanks again,
Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
15 Feb 2009 13:46 - 15 Feb 2009 13:50 #265199 by KruZer
Well the KruZer is back on the road and running great!
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and help with the idle down problem.
Turns out it the problem was a stretched throttle pully return spring. I bought a new spring (OUCH!), adjusted the accelerator pump linkage and wham...what a difference.

The bike has been used for a dragbike for the last year and half but I decided to put the bike back on the street and build a bike for the track.

I've attached a couple of pictures.....
THANKS AGAIN!!!

(I tried to attach a few pictures but I could only get one picture to attach...)

Buzz

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2009 13:50 by KruZer.

More
17 Feb 2009 22:53 #265826 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic VM26 carbs with Accelerator pump-Won't idle down.
hey what triple trees are those looks like they have quite a bit of offset built in to them.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
18 Feb 2009 01:21 #265837 by nads.com
KruZer wrote:

Well the KruZer is back on the road and running great!
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and help with the idle down problem.
Turns out it the problem was a stretched throttle pully return spring. I bought a new spring (OUCH!), adjusted the accelerator pump linkage and wham...what a difference.

The bike has been used for a dragbike for the last year and half but I decided to put the bike back on the street and build a bike for the track.

I've attached a couple of pictures.....
THANKS AGAIN!!! Those corbin seats with the big backend look gawdy. How could a seat company do that ?

(I tried to attach a few pictures but I could only get one picture to attach...)

Buzz

More
18 Feb 2009 15:12 #265959 by KruZer
You're right. Custom triple trees with a 5 degree rake. The triple trees are drilled for Harley handle bar spacing and I use a set of
1-1/4 dragbars and an early model Sportster headlight...

Buzz

Attachments: