Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel Injection running rich. 19 Feb 2006 12:02 #24907

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207

What do you know about Mega Squirt?

There are several of us here familiar with MegaSquirt, I know Duck is and there is at least one other that has installed several of them on VW's (can't remember the name right now), and I have one in the closet waiting for warm weather, plus I need one more :D

I went to the parts diagrams at buykawasaki.com and looked up the part numbers for 85 ZN1300, 81 and 84 GPz1100, and 84/85 GPz750 Turbo TPS Sensors, and they were all the same part number.

If your ignition system is not controlled by your EFI computer, then it's no problem to convert to MS.

I could find no reference to a MAP sensor in the parts diagrams for your bike at buykawasaki.com, hence my reference to Alpha-N above. I'll have to go look again :(

Ok, I looked again and I still can't find a MAP sensor listed anywhere, you sure you have one?
It would have two wires going to it, and would hook into the intake manifolds between the throttlebodies and the head, probably a hose coming off each manifold all tied into one hose that connects to the MAP sensor.
All I can find are an Air Temp sensor, an Engine Temp sensor, and a Throttle Position sensor.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/02/19 15:16
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Injection running rich. 19 Feb 2006 19:50 #25026

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey Steve,
The MAP sensor on the 1300 is refered to as a vacuum sensor and works only with the ignition system. To that end you are 100% correct the DFI works only with three sensors. The throttle position sensor the engine temp sensor and the intake air sensor.

There are two terminals on the DFI computer that connect to the ingition module. These could serve to tell the DFI about engine speed so it's entirely possible that the systems could be seperated.

Of course now that you have found that the GPz's use the same TPS I think that these old sixes can be kept running forever, or at least till the supply of DFI computers run out.

Thanks for all your help.
Bill
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Fuel Injection running rich. 21 Feb 2006 13:12 #25382

• rodneyo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Those old fuel injection systems are junk.Kawasaki had trouble with them from the beginning.Thats why they quit making them.

Fuel Injection running rich. 21 Feb 2006 15:37 #25428

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
The GPz has the same three sensor setup.
Did not know it used the same TPS.
It's a simple system and should be reliable.

I don't know much about the megasquirt aside from reading their site. It looks pretty good.

Have been talking to an EE friend about doing a FI controller using a programmable gate array. Back of the envelope says cake with the three sensor. No improvement in efficiency or performance but we may try one just to see if we can make it work. Our thought is that the function of the controller, mapping sensor input to injector control output, can be done electronically without software, just like it used to be done mechanically.

-Duck

Fuel Injection running rich. 21 Feb 2006 16:09 #25438

• steell
  • User
rodneyo wrote:

Those old fuel injection systems are junk.Kawasaki had trouble with them from the beginning.Thats why they quit making them.

What's junk about them? Throttlebodies are fairly simple metal castings, not much to go wrong there, injectors are standard automotive type, and they are pretty reliable, sensors are pretty reliable, considering they are 20 years old and just now going bad, the EFI controllers are solid state and last next to forever as long as you keep good rubber mounts on them to isolate them from vibration. Many of the cuurent production Kawasaki's use the same type of EFI. I don't think there has been a single year since 1979 that Kawasaki has not had fuel injected models in their line up.
The 1980 KZ1000 Classic and the 1981 GPz1100 did have a problem because Kawasaki mounted the injectors directly in the head and heat took it's toll on them, but all the rest have been pretty reliable.

I think it's more a case of many people being scared of "New Fangled Stuff" and bad mouthing it, or people blaming the fuel injection for other problems and yanking it off the bike.

It's a whole lot simpler to get accurate fuel control from EFI than it is from carburators, show me a carb that will aotomatically adust the fuel for altitude, barometric pressure and temp. :D

Can't tell I'm firmly convinced that EFI is better can you :evil:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/02/21 19:13
KD9JUR

Fuel Injection running rich. 22 Feb 2006 09:23 #25611

• rodneyo
  • User
I can tell you because Ive been a technician for fifteen years.

Fuel Injection running rich. 22 Feb 2006 10:21 #25616

• steell
  • User
rodneyo wrote:

I can tell you because Ive been a technician for fifteen years.

Tell me what? Do you disagree with something I wrote? If so, what? Many on here have more than 15 years experience, I only have 40 myself, and have been working on fuel injection systems since the first mechanical ones arrived on the scene, well except for the early Rochester fuel injection system that Chevy released in 1957.

I am always interested in learning more, but just saying something is "junk" don't tell me anything, I need to know specifically what and why.

General statements not allowed, details are required :D
KD9JUR

Fuel Injection running rich. 22 Feb 2006 12:23 #25648

• Rickman
  • User
Yeah. Junk or not, It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports *before* they go out now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
:laugh:

</ office space >
1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

Fuel Injection running rich. 22 Feb 2006 14:41 #25690

• rodneyo
  • User
In that case you should be able to fix it yourself.

Fuel Injection running rich. 22 Feb 2006 17:25 #25723

• steell
  • User
rodneyo wrote:

In that case you should be able to fix it yourself.

I was not the one asking how to fix something, I was the one providing info :D

This is the "Tech" forum, so get technical :)

I'm such an avid Do-It-Yourself guy that I went out and bought a vertical mill so I could bore and hone my own cylinders and mill my own heads.

I would really like to know what bikes use external high pressure fuel pumps though, I could use a couple for my fuel injection conversions.
KD9JUR

Fuel Injection running rich. 22 Feb 2006 19:24 #25756

• rpkaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm new to this site and have an 82gpz1100b2 that is/was having similar problems.This is an alpha-n injection system that is sensitive to engine temp and tps readings.Clean the engine temperature sensor/wire connections,this was causing a severe hesitation when the engine warmed up.It was fine cold.I have a variable resistor wired in series with the temp sensor that is now set to 0. Small changes in resistance make a big difference in how it runs.
It was also running rich and would blow black smoke out the exhaust when the throttle was snapped open.The tps is adjustable and making small adjustments counterclockwise (leanner) improved this.I haven't tried playing with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator yet but will as soon as i can get one.MSD part# 2222 and #2220 appear to be very similar to what's on the gpz. Hope this helps.

Fuel Injection running rich. 23 Feb 2006 06:11 #25830

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
RP-

Let me know how that adjusable regulator works out.

1100B2 here(Atlanta) going back together. Still waiting for my gaskets to show up...

Collecting parts to mess with adding EFI to an 87 police engine and looking for suitable fuel pump and adjustable pressure regulator.

-Duck