Slight hesitation when throttle is first opened

More
25 Sep 2008 21:17 - 25 Sep 2008 21:20 #238699 by ghunt81
I'm sure many of you saw my saga previously with my bike...ugh.

Anyway, it's running great now, fires up on the first crank (I love that Dyna coil!).

Only problem that I have noticed is that it sputters/hesitates a bit when you first open the throttle and/or have it barely open. It's really not even noticeable in first-third gear, but you definitely notice it in fifth when you're trying to cruise with the throttle barely cracked. There are no problems at any throttle position above that.

What should I be looking for that might be causing this?

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires
Last edit: 25 Sep 2008 21:20 by ghunt81.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2008 07:33 #238744 by bemoore
Your mixture is getting too lean when you open the throttle. Are you using pods or the original airbox? I had hesitation problems with pods. After re-installing the airbox, I still slight hesitation until I adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws. Screwing them in makes the mixture richer I think. I'd try 1/4 turn at a time.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

More
26 Sep 2008 10:47 #238773 by ghunt81
Nope, I still have the stock airbox. Carbs were just rebuilt.

I have the screws at 1 1/2 turns out, which is what they were before and it ran good like that.

Also I think you turn them out to richen the mixture?

More
27 Sep 2008 06:41 #238910 by twinkyrider
Replied by twinkyrider on topic Slight hesitation when throttle is first opened
Are you sure your floats are ok? Had exactly the same symptom and found one float full of gas. You can still get those floats at motorcyclecarbs.com for $24.00. I luckily received one free from a member here. This is one awsome site! If you have one plug that's turning black (too rich) that might be it. If both plugs look normal or same disregard my post.

78 kz1000A
Fond du Lac,WI

More
27 Sep 2008 11:17 #238938 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Slight hesitation when throttle is first opened
ghunt81 wrote:

I have the screws at 1 1/2 turns out, which is what they were before and it ran good like that.

If your adjustment screws are on the side of the carb they are air adjustment screws,, you turn them in to richen the mixture. If they are underneath in the front they adjust the fuel, you turn them out to richen the mixture.
That off idle stumble is usually the mixture being to rich to begin withand when you open the throttle it leans the mixture suddenly.
Seeing as how they were recently cleaned and rebuilt the passages will be cleaner.
Try leaning the mixture 1/4 of a turn, if performance deteriorates, go the other way.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
27 Sep 2008 19:41 - 13 Oct 2008 19:20 #238997 by arai59
Contact Wiredgeorge.......he'll square you away.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2008 19:20 by arai59.

More
08 Oct 2008 12:06 #240793 by ghunt81
I forgot to really reply to this (and the weather was crappy so I didn't ride much).

I turned the air screws out 1/4 turn on both sides.

I noticed no noticeable improvement in driveability, but it was popping from the exhaust more at idle. I turned the screws back in to their original position of 1 1/2 turns.

I have not yet tried turning them in another 1/4 turn but I will try that sometime.

More
08 Oct 2008 13:21 #240800 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Slight hesitation when throttle is first opened
The Milkman wrote:

ghunt81 wrote:

If your adjustment screws are on the side of the carb they are air adjustment screws,, you turn them in to richen the mixture.

NO, he has a 750 twin like mine. The mikunis have the pilot screws on the sides and you back them out CCW to get richer (more gas).

I also recommend checking float adjustment (gas level) using clear tube method. A stumble when you open th throttle at lower RPM is the classic symptom of too low fuel level in the bowl.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Oct 2008 13:23 #240801 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Slight hesitation when throttle is first opened
ghunt81 wrote:

I forgot to really reply to this (and the weather was crappy so I didn't ride much).

I turned the air screws out 1/4 turn on both sides.

I noticed no noticeable improvement in driveability, but it was popping from the exhaust more at idle. I turned the screws back in to their original position of 1 1/2 turns.

I have not yet tried turning them in another 1/4 turn but I will try that sometime.

Won't help. Check fuel level and check for air leaks. Check to see if you have 45 pilot jets, because 50's run better (a little richer).

As last resort, you can raise the needles one notch and it will give you better throttle response.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Oct 2008 07:06 #240916 by ghunt81
I actually did check the float level a little while back and both were good, and right within spec.

And yeah I do have #45 pilot jets...that's what came in the rebuild kit. Spose I could swap to 50's easily enough.

More
09 Oct 2008 14:26 #240980 by bountyhunter
ghunt81 wrote:

I actually did check the float level a little while back and both were good, and right within spec.

Did you check the fuel level with a clear tube?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Oct 2008 09:45 #241116 by ghunt81
yes...