Carb Gurus, a little wisdom please...

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
13 Jun 2008 09:33 - 13 Jun 2008 09:34 #219796 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Carb Gurus, a little wisdom please...
If you guys had to wrestle with these damn intake boots, you wouldn't be knocking pods. PO says carbs were synched at a shop not to long ago. He is looking for the receipt. Service fuel levels are fine. I guess I am going to have to get propane and try again.

Hey Patton, whats your issue with pods?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 09:34 by PFC FNG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2008 11:35 - 13 Jun 2008 11:36 #219825 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Carb Gurus, a little wisdom please...
New intake boots are soft and pliable. All you have to do is to double over the end that goes to the carb and you instantly have another inch of clearance. The carb rack will slide right in with no problem at all. Like butter as they say. Then just unfold the boots back on to the carb throats and you is done. No swearing, no gouges in the hands and no problems. Plus now you have a bike that is breathing right and not being leaned out due to cross winds and your inside carbs are breathing exactly the same as your outside carbs. No worries about rain or moisture either. Ya may not like those little jap engineers but ya can't say they do not know what they are doing.

But if I had to wrestle with hardened boots yeah pods look very inviting but I will still bite the bullet and get new boots every time. If ya keep them siliconed they will last a few years in a pretty supple state. Been there with pods and I guess I was not one of the lucky ones cause I have never had a bike run right with them. They always make tuning a PITA or suffered leanout. Pretty much everyone I know went through the same thing and eventually went back to an airbox and in doing so had to dial in the carbs/rejet and adjust. I kinda like riding more than fiddling now in my advanced years. So that is my perspective. Besides I saw Invasion of the Body Snatches and I didn't like them pods either. maybe I'm just antiPOD!:blink:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 11:36 by Locozuna.

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2008 11:58 #219826 by PFC FNG
lol. I kinda liked that movie. The remake sucked though.

Anyways, I like me a challenge so one day I will try pods. But back to the origional thread.

Can anyone think of anything else to do other than redo the leak test with propane?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
Eastpoint, Mi

• SebRain77
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
15 Jun 2008 04:56 #220120 by SebRain77
Replied by SebRain77 on topic Carb Gurus, a little wisdom please...
I have the same troubles as mentionned up there... turns out there is some sludge in the carbs, especially 1 and 2, they're the lowest when parked on the sidestand. I have been looking everywhere for a vac leak, and cables issues, and I was about to go insane! I removed the carb assembly, and I couls see the tar-like substance on the slides on the engine side of the carbs. I guess the next step is to clean the carbs up and clean out the gas tank of any crap... just my experience.... worth lookin into! good luck!

Ever hit the pavement? I did, put that gear on!

1977 KZ 650C1 - First bike, ever! For sale - or not!?!?
2004 Z750 - More power than I'll ever need...
Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2008 07:48 #220305 by PFC FNG
I wish it was that easy, I was just cleaning my carb bowls yesterday (got bored) and everything looks squeaky clean. And nothing from the leak test with propane. Where else can I get a vacuum leak?

Eastpoint, Mi

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2008 12:06 #220726 by PFC FNG
Ok, I need a little more wisdom. My little carb issue fixed itself. After the test with propane I left it alone and rode it with the idle set low and waited for information. A few days ago I noticed my idle had increased itself to the 1000RPM - 1100RPM range. And the throttle doesn't stick. It doesn't seem to be related to temp cause here in Mi it went up to 90 then last night it was around 50. How would this occur?

Eastpoint, Mi

More
19 Jun 2008 04:34 #220855 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Carb Gurus, a little wisdom please...
Clocked up pilot jets starting to flow gas again?

Anyway, thats great newsB)

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...