78 kz1000 idle problems

More
30 Apr 2008 07:15 #210273 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 78 kz1000 idle problems
There are a bunch of different versions of the VM26. Ident the ones you have. There is an ID mark stamped on the flange. Look at your choke arm. On the carb flange, where it inserts into the bracket that retains all four carburetors, is a very small number. It is stamped and might well be on two lines. Like:
5A

You obviously may need to clean off the flange some to read the number. It is often dirty and sometimes you can't see it. If my description fails you, I can post a pic of the location. Let me know what the ID mark is.

The #130 main jets are way too big. The 25mm float level is kind of useless and you need to set the floats wet using the SERVICE FUEL LEVEL method. Anyway, let me know.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2008 14:22 #210336 by rx8driver23
Replied by rx8driver23 on topic 78 kz1000 idle problems
The id number is b8 34

More
01 May 2008 13:31 #210491 by wiredgeorge
There is a number on the other end in the same location... it will look a lot like the one I showed in the example. Get that one... sorry... some Mik VM carbs have the extra numbers on the other end and these are not ID marks... don't know what they might stand for. I think you might have gotten that number off the #4 carb end... try the other end. Sorry for the confusion.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 May 2008 16:11 #210766 by rx8driver23
Replied by rx8driver23 on topic 78 kz1000 idle problems
I got that number from right under the choke lever on the other side is 102 3 hope that helps

More
02 May 2008 16:45 #210770 by wiredgeorge
The number you note isn't quite correct as far as the scheme goes but it does ID the carbs to a 78 KZ1000. That is the ONLY year that used the 102 xx ID Mark. When you pull the slides and look at the jet needle, there will be a badge located on the jet needle. The KZ1000A used a 5DL31-4 jet needle, the cop bike used a 5CN8-3 jet needle. Don't remember what the LTD ID mark is or what its jet needle is but it is different. The 78 1/2 KZ1000A2 used a 105 xx ID mark. You MIGHT have a set of LTD carbs so when you get a chance to get the following specs, drop me a U2U with the specs:
main jet, pilot jet, jet needle with clip position, needle jet. I am sure that the bike will be jetted leanner than the standard (A) model... it will have a bit richer mid range but leaner top end would be a way to put it. Likely a #102.5 main jet was standard and #15 pilot. I have seen sets that I have NO idea what year/bike/model they could come off of... I think Kaw tossed a few sets on that were not the same as the others used for a certain model/year.

Oh yeah, rejet #115 mains, clip to 4th slot and #20 pilot jets IF there is a 2.0 slide cut out which there probably is. This number is stamped on the bottom of the slide. If you don't want to disassemble, just swap to #115 main and #20 pilot and give it a shot. That combo makes the 78 KZ1000 carbs perk right up...

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 May 2008 17:00 #210773 by monsterman21
Replied by monsterman21 on topic 78 kz1000 idle problems
Remember check ur points and timing (if you use points) idk if u do or not and if u do also check if there dirty