79 kz650 carb parts and boil

More
26 Jan 2008 12:54 #191132 by KawiConvert
79 kz650 carb parts and boil was created by KawiConvert
I picked up a set of 79 kz650 carbs (with pump) for my 78 and I haven't been able to find a carb kit that would fit. Does anyone know where I can find one? I would go to the dealer for the individual parts, but I need to rejet, new needles, gaskets, air screws, and o-rings.

Also, is it safe to boil these in a chemical dip? I have pulled the main and slow jets, choke assembly, tops , slides, float assembly, and air screw. Is there something else that is inside that I am missing?

Also, in the bowl with the pump on it, there is still a rattle when I shake it. I removed the ring, ball, and pin that was in all 4 bowls, but haven't found what is still in the pump bowl (pump assemblies are removed).

After reading some previous posts I am going to be using a 110 and 17.5 as recommended (I am using pods and a different exhaust (with baffles in).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am trying to get it running as soon as possible while working on the seat and tank to make it a bit more mine.

Thanks for the help.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 12:57 #191133 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic 79 kz650 carb parts and boil
Also, need to find new orings for the channel from the pump line in the bowl to the main carb body. Way too many parts to find.

More
26 Jan 2008 17:48 #191155 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic 79 kz650 carb parts and boil
KawiConvert, Welcome to my world! There are no actual kits for the pump carbs. If your carbs are like mine (1980) the only things you can use in the kits will be the needle and seat, the top cover gaskets, jets, needle and a couple "o" rings. Your carbs should use "air" screws but the kits will have "pilot" screws. Have to reuse yours. Also the bowl gaskets will not have a provision for the channel where the pump squrters get there fuel. So... I used what I could from the kits (reused my jets, needles, air screws) but had to order (don't remember where) my own "pump" bowl gaskets. I'm a mechanic so have access to "o" rings (4) which go around the squirter channel. The pic below shows the punch outs (circled) for that channel which the kit gaskets do not have. The "o" rings should fit snug around the raised channels as these are what seal it, not the gasket. As I said, welcome to my world! ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
26 Jan 2008 19:11 #191163 by KawiConvert
Do the pumps make a big difference for performance? I may try to put the stock ones back together if it is going to be this big of a hassle. The pilot screws are in poor condition so I may have to find new ones. Thanks for the help though, if I go with the 79 model now I know what I need.

More
27 Jan 2008 05:47 #191207 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic 79 kz650 carb parts and boil
I've heard guys say that there is virtually no difference between the carbs. I believe the newer carbs had the pumps because they were leaned out (97.5 vs 102.5 main jet) and the pump was supposed to compensate for that. You should be fine either way.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
27 Jan 2008 18:16 #191335 by KawiConvert
The pump set I pulled apart still had the 102.5, the PO may have swapped them. Still, the PO on my non pump carbs had trouble putting the screws in without crossthreading them. So we will see.
Thanks for the info though, it is good to know what differences if any were made.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
28 Jan 2008 17:22 #191502 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic 79 kz650 carb parts and boil
i have a set of each in rebuildable condition, all of the parts in them should help someone if they feel a need to want them.

I need money for a set off a GPZ750

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2008/01/28 20:23

More
29 Jan 2008 23:05 #191774 by KawiConvert
ran429 wrote:

i have a set of each in rebuildable condition, all of the parts in them should help someone if they feel a need to want them.

I need money for a set off a GPZ750<br><br>Post edited by: ran429, at: 2008/01/28 20:23

I'll think about it, right now I am parting out my previous project bike that I spent the last 4 months on to raise funds for my current project bike. Just got a better set of carb boots so life is looking a little better. I'll see how salvagable my first set it, I may just need new carb bodies as the PO had trouble putting screws in without cross threading the holes (not that I'm bitter :).

More
30 Jan 2008 09:19 #191815 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 79 kz650 carb parts and boil
KawiConvert wrote:

I picked up a set of 79 kz650 carbs (with pump) for my 78 and I haven't been able to find a carb kit that would fit. Does anyone know where I can find one? I would go to the dealer for the individual parts, but I need to rejet, new needles, gaskets, air screws, and o-rings.

Also, is it safe to boil these in a chemical dip? I have pulled the main and slow jets, choke assembly, tops , slides, float assembly, and air screw. Is there something else that is inside that I am missing?

Also, in the bowl with the pump on it, there is still a rattle when I shake it. I removed the ring, ball, and pin that was in all 4 bowls, but haven't found what is still in the pump bowl (pump assemblies are removed).

After reading some previous posts I am going to be using a 110 and 17.5 as recommended (I am using pods and a different exhaust (with baffles in).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am trying to get it running as soon as possible while working on the seat and tank to make it a bit more mine.

Thanks for the help.

Keystar made the carb rebuild kits for my 1979 KZ750. Do a google search on them and see if they make one for yours.

My service manual warns against using strong solvents on the carbs as the may have plastic parts inside. I use acetone spray to clen carb parts.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Jan 2008 09:36 #191817 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic 79 kz650 carb parts and boil

My service manual warns against using strong solvents on the carbs as the may have plastic parts inside. I use acetone spray to clen carb parts.

Wouldn't you consider acetone a strong solvent? :unsure:

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
30 Jan 2008 10:52 #191829 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 79 kz650 carb parts and boil
Acetone is an especially nasty chemical that is a known carcinogen and dissolves plastic faster than any other chemical. In some manufacturing processes, acetone is used to wash plastics that have been sanded or filed to restore a smooth and shiny finish... in other words it melts the plastic. In this type of manufacturing, the workers are all required to wear breathing masks.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Jan 2008 11:57 #191837 by KawiConvert
Isn't it possible to get all of the plastic parts out? Other wise did they cast the aluminum carb bodies around the plastic? Just curious, mine really need a dip in the (chemically) hot tub.