Rebuilt KZ1000 Carbs, now accelerator pump not working?

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
28 Jan 2008 18:10 #191517 by KZ_Rage
You had the pump nut off of the threaded shaft?
With the way it's designed I wouldn't think it would walk any but I never broke one loose as there isn't any need too really unless it was monkeyed with I guess. With gas that high up on the body, it had to come from the fuel transfer hoses between carbs IMHO.

Did you replace the little o-ring on the pumper circuit nipple that sticks up out of the bowl that mates up to the carb bodies part of the pumper jet? The bowl gasket doesn't seal this connection on 28's.

You have the odd pumpers with the little triangular plate on the bottom. Most do not have this or the little port pathway from the bowl and stating from my experience the ones without the plate work very well.

If it is acting that cold natured and gas fouling there are other issues. As with all trouble shoots with carbs, it is best to start with a good idea of the condition of the wiring to the coils, from the coils and at the battery. The next thing is the valves and compression. Once these things are checked and we know the jet sizes and float heights then 90% of the guessing going on can be eliminated, else you end up just taking a leak in a windstorm.

The sidestand leak can be helped by shutting off the engine and then the fuel on a non-vacuum petcock prior to leaning it on the stand. If it leaks after that the floats are too high and/or the float needles are dirty/worn. If you replace the float needles and seats get Mikunni not aftermarket, you'll be glad you did.

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2008/01/28 21:12

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.