Jetting carbs

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
22 Jan 2008 20:20 #190573 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Jetting carbs
JR wrote:

While the 62 and 135 have worked fine for me in the past I decided to order some 68 and 140 and see for myself how they work out. I'm open minded on this and besides at $2 each jets are cheap. I'll be watching for any better performance and also hoping they wont be to rich and soot up. With the jetting I have my plugs tended to be a smidgen on the sooty side until I did the coil maod a couple of years past.

I figure by about the second half of March the snow should be gone and the temperature high enough above freezing so I can get the bike fired up for another season.
Hoping we can compare notes in a couple of months time :) :) :)

You better save a link to this post because i am Riding mine this weekend hehe! :woohoo:

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2008/01/22 23:21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2008 06:44 #190634 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Jetting carbs
JR, Your cylinder head will probably melt down when you use the jets I recommend. Your pipes will glow red. You will develop a facial tic.

I rejet about 15 sets of CV34s every year for pods/pipes and it happens every time.

Although it is harder to start with the stock main jet and pulls sluggishly up in the upper rpms ranges, it might be worth the poor performance to not have folks stare at you when your tic starts up... You will have to judge. Seriously.

Disclaimer: Jetting recommendations are intended for trained professionals only and not to be attempted without the proper training and safety equipment. Mis-jetting your motorcycle may cause serious injury or death. All jetting recommendations are for off-road use only as it is a serious violation of Federal EPA regulations to modify intake or exhaust systems on a motorcycle and violations may be punished by fines or prison terms of not more than 200 years.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Jan 2008 07:08 #190638 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Jetting carbs
Uncertain what type carb cleaner wg uses, but I want some. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Jan 2008 08:00 #190643 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic Jetting carbs
So, what would you suggest for the same bike with the same carbs having a 4 into 1 V&H exhaust and the stock air box with a foam UNI filter?
Thanks.
Joe

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
23 Jan 2008 08:27 #190644 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Jetting carbs
Did Z1E carry the main jets (70)?
I saw they have the secondary mains, but did not list the mains.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
23 Jan 2008 09:39 #190649 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Jetting carbs
wiredgeorge wrote:

JR, Your cylinder head will probably melt down when you use the jets I recommend. Your pipes will glow red. You will develop a facial tic.

I rejet about 15 sets of CV34s every year for pods/pipes and it happens every time.

Although it is harder to start with the stock main jet and pulls sluggishly up in the upper rpms ranges, it might be worth the poor performance to not have folks stare at you when your tic starts up... You will have to judge. Seriously.

Disclaimer: Jetting recommendations are intended for trained professionals only and not to be attempted without the proper training and safety equipment. Mis-jetting your motorcycle may cause serious injury or death. All jetting recommendations are for off-road use only as it is a serious violation of Federal EPA regulations to modify intake or exhaust systems on a motorcycle and violations may be punished by fines or prison terms of not more than 200 years.

George,
I can only re iterate that my current jetting (regardless of how many systems you test each year) works fine. Starting is usually one touch of the button and the bike pulls just fine and often to redline. I dont have performance issue and can raise the front wheel if I'm not carefull. I respect your opinion and will try the larger jets.

However I have read your post several times and have to ask - is this ridicule or humour ? Am I reading the message that as an amateur, and most of us here are amatuers, I should butt out and leave forum responses it to the professionals like yourself ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
23 Jan 2008 19:06 #190732 by ran429
mariozappa wrote:

Did Z1E carry the main jets (70)?
I saw they have the secondary mains, but did not list the mains.

um, i ordered over the phone and he has them, just not on the website.
when you call the place, the phone will state #1 option or #2 option for Technical assistance. Use the #2 option and ask for Jeff, tell him your username here also so he can keep track of purchases made through kzrider also.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
23 Jan 2008 19:09 #190733 by ran429
wiredgeorge wrote:

WG you crack me up! Sorry Occifer, my bike came with this stuff on it. I just made it all green and purty.

More
24 Jan 2008 07:19 #190796 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Jetting carbs
JR, I was making a joke. Use what jetting you like. Its your bike. Be happy. This shouldn't be serious. Its a hobby and in the middle of the winter for most folks on the board. If you do try the jetting combo I suggest and it really is miserable for you, come on the board and tell everyone I am dumb. Heck, I will tell everybody... I am dumb. If the jetting combo I suggest works better than what you are working on, don't mention it to a soul. I can live with it... I work on bikes for a living, I don't send astronauts into outer space or do brain surgery! hehe Lighten up bro!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
24 Jan 2008 17:08 #190890 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Jetting carbs
I'm looking forward to trying the bigger jets in the Spring. The ones I ordered from Z1 came yesterday. Perhaps they will be an improvement. Either way I'll be sure to post how they went. I got nothing to keep quiet about and wont be calling anyone dumb. Afterall it's the open exchange of ideas and experiences that make this a great site.

:)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Johnny Red
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 80 KZ750 H LTD
More
27 Jan 2008 17:41 #191328 by Johnny Red
Replied by Johnny Red on topic Jetting carbs
Ok I finally got the jets in, also rebuilt the carbs.
New jets are #70 & #140. Phone orderd from Z1enterprises.

Now I think carbs #2, going from left to right is not getting gas? Other wise it runs like a bat out of hell just on three carbs! but I need to find out why # 2 is not getting gas. I have spark to # 2, I pulled the plug wire and there is no differance in running and # 2 is getting spark.

May be the float?

What do you guys think?

Johnny Red

Post edited by: Johnny Red, at: 2008/01/27 20:43

Post edited by: Johnny Red, at: 2008/01/27 20:47

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
27 Jan 2008 22:35 #191374 by ran429
both my inner carbs stopped working yesterday in the same manner, but I think i got something in them clogging something. not really sure.

You may have something holding the float up and blocking the inlet under the needle seit.