Will not start WITH choke on.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
09 Jan 2008 11:10 #188434 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Will not start WITH choke on.
KZCSI wrote:

Sounds like an intake leak to me. Are you sure you've goot all the hoses connected?

Fairly sure I have the connections right. I used the diagram from George's site. My carbs have the vents between 1/2 and 3/4, and I have hoses running from these vents down over the swingarm. All vacuum ports are capped except #2, which is attached to the petcock. I have a single fuel intake. I don't think I'm missing any connections.

West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2008 11:12 #188435 by Skyman
George,

Thanks for the information. I will pull the carbs and clean again.

--Steve

West Linn, OR

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2008 21:40 #188513 by Skyman
George,

I disassembled my carbs and blew air through all the passages I could find. I wanted to pay special attention to the starter circuit since that is where we suspect the problem is that started all this.

I stuck my air nozzle into the hole where the choke plunger went, and the air came out of the brass post that sticks down into the bowl. I also took a carb cleaner wire and ran it down through the post hole and through the hole that goes horizontally through the pole near its base.

Is there any other orifice from the starter circuit that I should check/clean?

Thanks.

West Linn, OR

More
10 Jan 2008 08:24 #188547 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Will not start WITH choke on.
The check valve in the bowl can often clog. The air jet is not likely clogged but is located under the rubber diaphgram on your carbs I think.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 09:57 #188556 by Skyman
wiredgeorge wrote:

The check valve in the bowl can often clog. The air jet is not likely clogged but is located under the rubber diaphgram on your carbs I think.

George, where is this "check valve" that you speak of?

Is that the float-actuated valve? If not, what does it look like, and where is it located?

Thanks again.

West Linn, OR

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 20:55 #188667 by Skyman
Okay, I think I MAY have found the source of the problem. While I was meticulously cleaning every orifice I and passageway I could find, I made an observation.

I had previously observed that the brass tube which sticks down into the bowl area was likely the fuel feeder tube for the starter system. So I paid particular attention to making sure that it was not blocked. Just as I was preparing to replace the bowl, I noticed that this brass tube fits inside a "well" molded into the bowl, and does not actually pull fuel from the main bowl area. Then I observed that this well appears to be blocked off from the main bowl, that the bowl gasket left no way for fuel to get into the well. I then saw that there was a channel molded into the bowl rim which seemed to provide a pathway for fuel to flow to the well. But I saw no opening to allow fuel to flow into the channel.

THEN I looked at the bowl gasket and saw that at the area where the other end of the channel mated with the carb body, there was hole punchout in the gasket, but the punchout had not been removed. I lifed up the gasket, and sure enough, there was a hole that led into the main bowl area.

SO, I think what happened is that the previous owners of these carbs had replaced the bowl gaskets at one point, and failed to remove the hole punchout that covers this hole. Therefore, no gas was getting into the channel which leads to the well which supplies the tube which feeds fuel to...THE...STARTER...CIRCUIT!!

:woohoo:

Here's a picture that shows what I am talking about:

West Linn, OR
Attachments:

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 20:57 #188668 by Skyman
And here is what was hiding under the gasket:

West Linn, OR
Attachments:

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 21:01 #188670 by Skyman
So, I'm going to remove the punchout in the gasket to open up this hole and allow gas to flow to the starter. Hopefully, this will solve the dysfunctional enrichener problem. :)

West Linn, OR

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 23:28 #188684 by Skyman
SUCCESS!!!

I reassembled the carbs and installed on my bike. Pulled the choke out tapped the starter button and BAM! It fired right up within a half second.

The choke/enrichener works perfectly now.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. They pointed me in the right direction and allowed me to discover the source of the problem.

--Steve

West Linn, OR

More
11 Jan 2008 18:23 #188783 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Will not start WITH choke on.
Hey Steve? Is that the 1982 1000 m2 that you were fixing? I don't know if your CSR and my LTD should have the same carb setup but our carbs or at least mine doesnt have the vent lines like what you have flowing to the swing arm like you mentioned. Those are vacuum lines. You can take any of those lines and hook it up to your vacuum actuated petcock and it will work. Mine would if they all except the vac to pet line that is on the no. 2 carb wasnt hooked up. The carbs on the 80's bikes like mine and yours don't have vent lines like the 78 bikes like your other 1000 and my 79 SR650. I would cap those lines off. That could be part of your lean condition

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jan 2008 22:31 #188814 by Skyman
kzwolfsr wrote:

Hey Steve? Is that the 1982 1000 m2 that you were fixing? I don't know if your CSR and my LTD should have the same carb setup but our carbs or at least mine doesnt have the vent lines like what you have flowing to the swing arm like you mentioned. Those are vacuum lines. You can take any of those lines and hook it up to your vacuum actuated petcock and it will work. Mine would if they all except the vac to pet line that is on the no. 2 carb wasnt hooked up. The carbs on the 80's bikes like mine and yours don't have vent lines like the 78 bikes like your other 1000 and my 79 SR650. I would cap those lines off. That could be part of your lean condition

Actually, these carbs are not original to this bike. I bought them on EBay, and they were advertised as having come off of an 1100 Sceptre. I am fairly sure they are vent lines, not vacuum lines. From what I understand, some models of BS34 carbs were configured this way. If you look at the diagram and description on Wired George's website, he explains about the vent-equipped models. Check it out here:
www.wgcarbs.com/index.php?option=com_con...view&id=16&Itemid=31

Anyhow, it is working fine now. The problem was indeed that the gasket punchout was not removed, and so the fuel path to the starter circuit was blocked. Once I removed the punchout, it fired right up and the choke/enrichener worked properly.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2008/01/12 01:35

West Linn, OR

More
12 Jan 2008 05:34 #188838 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Will not start WITH choke on.
Skyman,
I been having simular problems with cold starting my bike and wasnt sure how the "enricher" system worked. Thanks to your fantastic pictures you posted here I now fully understand the "enricher" operation on these carbs. And now know what to look for on mine.:)

Thanks for a great post

Post edited by: dannyg40, at: 2008/01/12 08:35