550 LTD high idle after assembly

More
12 Dec 2007 03:29 #184687 by Aric
Replied by Aric on topic 550 LTD high idle after assembly
That's great! Is there a listing for the '82 C2 models or is it the same as the '80 C1 ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
12 Dec 2007 05:34 #184702 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic 550 LTD high idle after assembly

The LTD (KZ 550 C) in USA is set to 1-3/8 turns out +/- 1/4

Thanks Lou, I was thinking what my bike's stock setting was in error. :blush: I've adjusted my post above.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
12 Dec 2007 09:29 #184734 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 550 LTD high idle after assembly
80 to 82 C LTD 550 should be identical carbs.

No prob CC :)

More
12 Dec 2007 18:57 #184798 by Aric
loudhvx wrote:

The LTD (KZ 550 C) in USA is set to 1-3/8 turns out +/- 1/4, but as WG said, pods will need bigger jets (try 94) and the mixture screws may have to go in a little to richen it (they are air-only screws).
The needles are not adjustable on the USA models.

<br><br>Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/12/12 04:02

So if I change the main jet do I change the needle as well? where would I buy such items? Please don't tell me to go to the dealer, local one has no time for you if you aren't reeady to drop $12K on show floor. Checking ebay and bikebandit now. Found #94 under the 81 550D1 section. before ordering just wanted to check about needle as well.

If I haven't said so, I REALLY appreciate everyone's patience! Every time I think I might know something about these bikes you guys gently remind me I'm still a newby. Thanks!

More
12 Dec 2007 19:07 #184802 by loudhvx
Try it first without changing needles. I've had good luck with my beloved Kerker. It didn't need new needles or idle jets. It only needed a slightly larger main. (96 instead of 94, on the 550D)

The f'ing, Mac exhaust, on the other hand needed larger mains, larger idle jets, and needle adjustment. But then it was killer!

Adjustable versions of the stock needles come in some of the rebuild kits out there, along with extra jets.

Patience is definitely needed with jetting. Don't get discouraged if you end up opening the carbs 2, 3, or even 4 times.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/12/12 22:09

More
12 Dec 2007 19:36 #184808 by Aric
Using stock 4/2 pipes. Still recommend #94's? where is good place to purchase online preferably?

Pulling carbs on and off doesn't bother me, one of the big reasons I went to pods is because I hate the way the airbox looks, another being that with my old 650 I was constantly adjusting the carbs and the boots were rock hard ( i used to nuke them or run a hairdryer on them to soften)making it nearly impossible to pull carbs, the other reason is they look soo freakin cool. If there are any performance advantages I'll take it but that wasn't the primary motivation.

Post edited by: Aric, at: 2007/12/12 22:44

More
13 Dec 2007 03:01 #184834 by loudhvx
Yeah, I would try 94 or 95 to start with, whichever is easier to get.

More
15 Dec 2007 14:46 #185202 by Aric
So apparently, I am a nearly complete moron. ( Hard to be "Complete" at anything)
The reason the bike was running at like 3000Rpm at startup...?
When I was going through the carbs on the bench before install I turned the fast idle screw ALL the Way in so i would have both hands free to clean some gunk around the slides and needles and never reset it to factory! D'uh no wonder it sounds like it's gonna explode. I can't believe it even ran like that. the only reason I figured it out was because I followed all your advice; Puled carbs went through them again blew out all jets, valves, needles, ports , etc. Checked all settings. Got ready to bench sync and thought...Hmm... wonder why the slides are stuck halfway up the bore? So anyway I removed the idle mix screw plugs with 1/4" drill bit, reset mix, screwed in 1/4 turn, custom rejetted mains.

For anybody thinking about trying it here is my disclaimer so they don't kick me off the site for heresy. 'Don't custom rejet your mains! It's a bad idea. You don't know what your doing!'

Just so everybody knows I did in fact order new main jets, they will be here in 10 freakin days. Local independent dealer "knows a guy". We'll see.

In the meantime, installed my custom jobs and low and behold after minor adjustments ( The Flot bowl is still pouring like seive!!!!!GRRRRRRRRR) i've got one screaming $325 550LTD
Now all i need is tag and insurance.

More
15 Dec 2007 16:54 #185221 by loudhvx
I didn't realize you were asking the jetting info for the high-idle problem. You may still need the jets, but at least you can ride the bike for now. Glad you got it figured out.

More
15 Dec 2007 17:57 #185230 by Aric
Probably would have needed jets anyway with the pods, Thanks loudhvx, wired, corey, flht, et al!!

More
23 Dec 2007 08:52 #186151 by Aric
Finally some pics of the project. Still needs some fine tuning with the carbs, but so far so good!

Post edited by: Aric, at: 2007/12/23 12:05