I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
20 Nov 2007 12:48 #181885 by BoZ650
.....Start my motorcycle!!!!!!I would buy this book if they sold it!Anyway,I adjusted my float levels and installed the wiredgeorge coil mod,along with new Dyna green coils and Dyna-S igniton module.I put the newly adjusted carbs back on and nothing!!!#1,2 and three plugs wet with gas #4 is not.I have spark at all cylinders and I get a backfire through the #1 carb.Bike was running fine before I installed said parts,was just tough to get started the 1st time for the day,but ran good after that.Its a 77 KZ650b and if you can think of anything I should check please let me know your thoughts!!Thanks,
Tony

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2007 14:14 #181890 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........
Timing?
Can the rotor on the Dyna ignition be installed 180° out?

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Nov 2007 14:19 #181891 by BoZ650
Replied by BoZ650 on topic I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........
I thought that to but I set up to the left like Dyna says to.But why would the #4 plug be dry and all others wet.Im lost!!

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

More
20 Nov 2007 14:59 #181895 by JR
Is it possible you have the wrong wire going to the wrong coil ? i.e wired backwards ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
20 Nov 2007 15:39 #181901 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........
Check on WG's site, he shows how to hook the Dyna S into his system. It's differant with points. Also,DO NOT use the blue connector supplied with the Dyna, SOLDER that connection!!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/11/20 18:43

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/11/20 18:44

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Nov 2007 03:07 #181976 by BoZ650
Yeh Blue I went over that twice and I actually used the OE blue wire which I seperated from the points harness.Now that I have stepped back and got away from that monster,I remember the Dyna S wires had a black wire with a green piece of shink wrap on it so I put that to the green wire.The other wire was white with a black "tag" of shrink wrap,I put that wire to the black wire of off bike.I think that may be wrong.That is pretty decieving.So Im gonna switch those wires today and see where that gets me.This end of the project(mechanical)is turning out to be more frustrating than the tons of hours that went in to the body,frame,brakes,painting and such.But then again I actually enjoyed that!!!!

More
21 Nov 2007 07:02 #182002 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........
Look at your Dyna S. There are two pickups. The RIGHT pickup as viewed from the side has a wire that come off it and should be hooked to the 2 & 3 coil. The 2 & 3 coil should have wire leads to the 2 & 3 spark plugs. The left Dyna S pickup is the 1 & 4 pickup and the wire coming off it should connect to the 1 & 4 coil which has its leads connected to the 1 & 4 plugs. The normal wire color is green for 2&3 and black for 1&4. The Dyna S wires are black and white with small plastic colored shrink wrap in black and green that is SUPPOSED to be on the correct wires but may not be. I have seen it installed incorrectly... do the tracing and don't rely on wire color or the colored bands.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Nov 2007 07:19 #182005 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........
Very good advice in George´s post, don´t rely on wire color. When I installed my DynaS the colored shrink wrap was in fact on the wrong wires - I seem to recall that someone from here mailed Dynatek about it, but I´m not sure if they ever corrected it.

The way my DynaS is set up, the black Dyna wire goes to where the green used to go and the white Dyna wire goes to where the black wire used to go, not very logical but it works..

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Nov 2007 12:49 #182044 by BoZ650
Ok,I am the a@%!&..hole.After talking with you guys last night I went back to the shop today and started over.Only to find out that I have the plug wires on the wrong coils#1and#4 I had hooked up on the left side coil and #2 and#3 I had hooked up on the right coil.I did everything correct until I got to the wires and then I dropped the ball.Once I hooked up corectly it fired right up.Then I threw the timing light on and turned the plate about a 1/4 inch till the F mark lined up @ idle.Then checked it @4000rpm to see if the two marks lined up(which)they did.WHAT a difference.Starts and runs great!!!!I even let it sit all day and tried it again cold and she starts right up.If it wasnt rainy today I would have taken a nice spin!!!!As always thanks soo much for all the help!Wiredgeorge the coil mod works perfect!!!Thank you also!!!
Tony

More
21 Nov 2007 13:11 #182048 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........
Woot!

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
21 Nov 2007 13:38 #182052 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic I need a Idoit's Guide on How To........
Tony, that ain't exactly the right way to time your bike. The pick up coils need to be opposed by 180 degrees. LEAVE THE 1/4 timing alone... that is real good. Loosen the two little socket head screws on the 2/3 pickup and put your inductive pickup from the timing light on #3 plug wire. (3rd from left counting left to right as you sit on bike). OK... start bike with power leads from light connected to battery. Now... you have to time 2 and 3 by moving the pickup coil. Note the little slots for mounting that the little socket head screws go through? This is where you adjust the 2/3 pickup coil so the F mark for 2/3 aligns with the mark on the case. You may find you can't get the timing right with 2/3... this is USUALLY the case because the 1/4 side is actually out of position some. You may have to loosen the two little mount socket head screws on 1/4 and move the 1/4 pickup so that the pickup is more or less in the middle of the adjustment range for the backing plate (you adjusted the plate by rotating... in other words the mount screws for the backing plate should be in the middle of the slots when you have the 1/4 pickup situated properly... When they assemble the units, they don't test them I think so when they tighten the pickups, they can tighten so that timing for 1/4 is only possible at the end of rotation adjustment. (hope this last bit made some sense... anyway see if you can get 2/3 timed same as 1/4).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Nov 2007 13:44 #182053 by BoZ650
Wiredgeorge,you mean it may run better!!!What your saying makes perfect sense to me today,yesterday I would have had no Idea what you were talking about.Im gonna play with it again om Friday.Ill let you know.I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!!Thanks
Tony!