Idle Speed Increases. Why??

More
05 Nov 2007 13:00 #179733 by TLH101
Idle Speed Increases. Why?? was created by TLH101
My bike starts and runs really well. It's not cold natured like a lot of the bikes I read about on here, BUT, after I have run a while, the idle speed starts to creep up, until it gets to about 2000RPM. When I load it down with bike in gear and release the clutch a bit, it slows down and holds a low idle at 1100-1200, but eventually creeps back up, or is slow to return to normal. I know it it's not a cable bind, because I can slow it down with the idle stop thumbscrew, but then the idle becomes too low. It's an intermittent problem.
Any ideas?
BTW, it's a '78 KZ 650

Post edited by: TLH101, at: 2007/11/05 16:01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2007 13:04 #179735 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
sounds like a vacum problem, spry some wd 40 or carb cleaner around the intake boots and see if it changes the way it runs

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
06 Nov 2007 16:45 #179903 by TLH101
Replied by TLH101 on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
Yeah, I tried that, with WD, and carb cleaner. Niether changed anything.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
06 Nov 2007 19:48 #179911 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
Still sounds like a vacuum leak with a slow-returning idle. Does adding choke make a difference? How is top end? You might have one carb with a float needle not closing, or a vacuum fitting leaking, that WD-40 wouldn't catch.

Have you done anything to that area recently?

I found a little pice of something blocking one carbs pilot jet. removed it, and rechecked all orifices. Man what a difference.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
06 Nov 2007 22:20 #179925 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
I had problems with my 650 doing the same thing after it warmed up. Don't know what it was, but about 1000 miles on the odometer cleared it right up!

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
07 Nov 2007 09:50 #179979 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
My guess would be that the centrifigual advance mechanism in the ignition system is advancing prematurely. It should not start to advance until the normal idle speed is exceeded. For example, a timing light should show the timing to be on the mark until the engine speed reaches, say about 1300 to 1500, and continue to advance until reaching a maximum at about 3000 or so.
If your advance kicks in at say 500 RPM, then the idle speed will go up as the advance takes effect. Then when slowing the idle speed with the idle screw, then it slows way down, since the timing is being retarded. It is like trying to hit a moving target.
I recommend checking to make sure the springs in the centrifugal advance are in place. If one has come loose, then the advance would begin too soon.

Post edited by: WABBMW, at: 2007/11/07 12:51

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
17 Dec 2007 16:18 #185461 by smockron
Replied by smockron on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
Hello all,

I'm brand new to the forum today and super happy that I've found you all. I've been having the exact same problem with my '76 Kz400 except it will vary even higher when idling--from 3500 down to about 900 rpm. But it always starts on the first kick. There is a little modified knob I can turn that I think is for the carb sync. If I turn it forward it will bring the idle down. Basically, I'm driving around town and turning it down at every other light.

Now, I'm a total newbie as this is my first bike and was hoping one of the above posters could maybe elaborate a bit more. I live in Austin and just got my carbs rejetted for way too much money by a guy that seems to have done a little half-assed of a job. The bottom of my left carbs seems to leak a little gas. Could this be it?

Where exactly should I try to spray WD40?

If it is the advance timing, is this something I could do on my own? What tools would I need?

I'm sorry for the cluelessness. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

More
17 Dec 2007 17:10 #185474 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
Spray the WD40 around the carb holders (engine side) Also if idle changes a bunch see if turning the handle bars affects it, if so then check your throttle cable routing.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• love2ride
  • User
  • Ngati Tumatauenga
More
17 Dec 2007 17:26 #185480 by love2ride
Replied by love2ride on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
On my other bike, Ninja 250, has carbies and that happened after I competed the valve adjustment. After a quick ride to warmup the engine. I performed a carb sync, needed a slight adjust, and it was good to go.

Post edited by: love2ride, at: 2007/12/17 20:26

Newport News, Va
2006 Ninja 250 - Commuter
1978 KZ1000 - Not even close to stock.

More
17 Dec 2007 17:49 #185489 by kzluke750
Replied by kzluke750 on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
There's way too many possibilities. I'd go with a full carb clean making sure to check float height specs, needle and seats, clean and/or replace ALL jets and definately check your air/fuel mixture screw settings. Check the diaphrams if applicable. A tiny pin hole there will cause you lots of grief!

1980 750 LTD Stock

Motors run on electricity, engines run on fuel.
-Jerry Baxter

More
17 Dec 2007 18:13 #185497 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
Another newbie here, evenin' all!
I've got to ask this because I'm not too hot at bike mechanics and it's puzzling me.
Why would anyone want to replace a jet? To my knowledge it's a turned piece of brass with a hole in it!
I can't see how the hole could enlarge in normal use and it can always be unblocked, so why replace?
I'm putting my fire jacket on as I speak...

1980 KZ500 B2

More
18 Dec 2007 03:30 #185548 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Idle Speed Increases. Why??
"There is a little modified knob I can turn that I think is for the carb sync. If I turn it forward it will bring the idle down."
Smockron, are you shure thats not the idle level adjustment screw? Basically you cannot turn carb sync screws without tools. Carb sync is done once a year or when needed and should not be tampered with everyday. Syncronising the carbs means balansing the operation of individual carbs to make engine run more effectively and smoother.

Sparky: Jets do wear in time and especially needle+needle jet. And no fire jacket needed. Everybody is here to learn, nobody knows it all:P

IMHO I´d 1) check for air leaks 2) sych carbs 3) adjust idle level and ride a hundred miles to see if it´s OK.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...