BS34 Air Screw O-Ring Size?

More
29 Aug 2007 17:34 #167207 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic BS34 Air Screw O-Ring Size?
Skyman wrote:

... Yes, they are available from the dealer. But silly me, as a matter of principle, I don't want to pay $3.50 ea for a tiny o-ring when I can get a bag of 200 for $10.00 and share them with all my friends at KZR. :whistle:

Completely understandable. Would it be feasible to obtain only one from the dealer, so as to get the exact measurements for placing an order through another supplier? Or what about diameter of the carb hole where the pilot screw fits into -- wouldn't it be same as outside diameter of o-ring? :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
29 Aug 2007 21:56 #167298 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic BS34 Air Screw O-Ring Size?
Patton wrote:

Completely understandable. Would it be feasible to obtain only one from the dealer, so as to get the exact measurements for placing an order through another supplier? Or what about diameter of the carb hole where the pilot screw fits into -- wouldn't it be same as outside diameter of o-ring? :)

The hole where the air screw lives is recessed so that I cannot get my micrometer in there to measure the diameter. However, the air screw itself is 5mm in diameter. So I assume the o-ring needs to be slightly larger than 5mm. :silly:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I was able to get the "006" o-ring from my HB kit to work by spraying it with some silicone lube so that it could move around in the hole without binding and being squeezed out of the groove. I had to be super cautious about finding the "lightly seated" point because the oversized o-ring made the screw hard to turn, and I was worried about torquing it down too hard at the end. But I think I got it set right. And I doubt that sucka's gonna leak. :P

FYI, acording to the info in my kit, the o-ring I used had an I.D. of 2.8mm and a thickness of 1.9mm. I think that the actual correct size should be 2.8mm I.D. and a thickness of 1.5mm.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/08/30 00:58

West Linn, OR

More
29 Aug 2007 22:50 #167301 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic BS34 Air Screw O-Ring Size?
BTW, don't settle for nitrile. Spend the extra couple bucks for Viton o-rings. Nitrile (Buna N) is not fully compatible with gasoline. Viton is a tradename for fluorocarbon elastomer.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/08/30 01:50

More
30 Aug 2007 02:42 #167309 by Paling1
Replied by Paling1 on topic BS34 Air Screw O-Ring Size?
Here's an exploded view of the BS34 carb on a KZ700:

Which O-ring are you referring to? part# 11009A?
Actual Kawasaki part# is 16038-022 and is listed as "O-ring". They don't mention a size...

I was under the impression that it is only used to make the cap 92066 watertight. The cap is there to prevent people from tampering with the airscrews... (Illegal in california?)

Post edited by: Paling1, at: 2007/08/30 05:49

KZ700-A1 (1984)
525 chain conversion; Dyna 2,2 ohm coils; Taylor plugwires; Stainless steel ZR-7 exhaust ; Remus muffler.
Plans: GPZ cams, ported head, 17 inch wheels, EFI....

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Aug 2007 08:45 #167355 by Skyman
Paling1 wrote:

Which O-ring are you referring to? part# 11009A?
Actual Kawasaki part# is 16038-022 and is listed as "O-ring". They don't mention a size...

Yes that is the one. Its position on the diagram is potentially misleading. The o-ring actually goes on the air screw, not the cap. The cap is just an aluminum plug with no o-ring.

loudhvx wrote:

BTW, don't settle for nitrile. Spend the extra couple bucks for Viton o-rings. Nitrile (Buna N) is not fully compatible with gasoline. Viton is a tradename for fluorocarbon elastomer.

I'd LOVE to go with Viton, and probably will eventually. For now, I have got a Nitrile ring in there now as a temporary solution (I'm anxious to get my new project up and running, and don't want to delay it for a week trying to find a Viton o-ring :). If I can find the right size in Viton later, I'll get them.

West Linn, OR

More
30 Aug 2007 09:17 #167363 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic BS34 Air Screw O-Ring Size?
Skyman wrote:

...part# 11009A...is the one. Its position on the diagram is potentially misleading. The o-ring actually goes on the air screw, not the cap. The cap is just an aluminum plug with no o-ring....

Thanks for clearing that up, which is consistent with presence of grove in the air screw. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 Aug 2007 00:42 #167494 by Paling1
Replied by Paling1 on topic BS34 Air Screw O-Ring Size?
Skyman wrote:

Yes that is the one. Its position on the diagram is potentially misleading. The o-ring actually goes on the air screw, not the cap. The cap is just an aluminum plug with no o-ring.

So you are saying tha o-ring actually sits in the groove of the airscrew?

KZ700-A1 (1984)
525 chain conversion; Dyna 2,2 ohm coils; Taylor plugwires; Stainless steel ZR-7 exhaust ; Remus muffler.
Plans: GPZ cams, ported head, 17 inch wheels, EFI....

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Aug 2007 13:07 #167590 by Skyman
Paling1 wrote:

So you are saying tha o-ring actually sits in the groove of the airscrew?

Yes, that is correct.

West Linn, OR