Bike boogs above 4k

More
03 Sep 2007 08:58 #168216 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bike boogs above 4k
Rweb... the rabbit trails grow! Hope you are learning something here! You got a Dyna S... let start by verifying it is hooked up right.

Two pickup coils: LEFT is 1/4 cylinder and right is 2/3. If you trace the left pickup coil wire up, it doesn't really matter which side you connect it to but it should be connected to the BLACK wire. The pickup coil connection is what makes it the 1/4 coil, not which side the coil sits on. OK... if the left pickup coil is connected to the coil where the plug wires go to the 1 and 4 cylinders, you have wired the thing correctly. If not, it will never start... just sit there and backfire.

Next, before we leave the Dyna S wiring issue, note there is a gizmo sitting on the end of the crackshaft just outside the mechanical timing advance. This is the thing that goes round with the crank and the pickup coils get their signal off it. Take it off... Note there is a round indentation (hard to see as it is painted just like the rest of the piece) but this thing is a MAGNET and is what is being sensed by the pickup coils. If you put the gizmo on backwards to where it is supposed to be, the order of firing will be reversed... Put the bike at TDC for 1/4 cylinder. Use the larger nut on the end of the crankshaft; I think it is the one closest to the engine and 17mm and turn the engine with the plugs removed so that the #4 piston is UP at the top when the mark on the case lines with the T for 1/4 on your mechanical advance. OK... now when you put the gizmo on, it has to be oriented correctly so that the little magnet is on the left as I recall. You REALLY should look at the directions for install. They are posted on the www.dynaonline.com website as I am an old man and my memory is bad. I would look it up myself.

OK, you got your Dyna S wires connected except for the red wire. You can hook the red wire to the relay power wire or connect it to the old coil wire connector. It isn't critical that the Dyna S have a full 12 VDC... the old coil wire connector is the yellow/red dual connector that hangs atop the valve cover area from your main harness.

When you do the coil repowering mod, you don't need to hook up the power to the Dyna S initially. The circuit you create is independent of the ignition. You should probably check the power out wire (that will eventually be connected to your coils) by just turning the key on and checking the power out of the relay to the coils... I see no reason not to splice the Dyna S in but as I noted, you can also connect the Dyna S up to the old coil feed (yellow/red dual connector atop the valve cover).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.