where did the gas go?

More
02 Aug 2007 17:12 #161420 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic where did the gas go?
The adapter plates are all the same except for the offset of the mounting holes. Measure the offset on your tank between the mounting bolts. On my KZ1000E1, the offset is 44mm which is pretty common but my poor failing memory tells me your offset will be different. You can also get either a Pingel petcock which are one of the best or a Drag Specialties... www.z1enterprises.com sells both. I use the Drag Specialties (or whatever they are called as they are also sold by Custom Chrome, etc) that screw into the adapter plate. The ones I use are about $20 as memory serves. You can go to jpcycles.com and buy ALL the internals to rebuild one of these petcocks even though they are inexpensive and they seem to flow gas adequately for any carb set up.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2007 20:02 #161452 by bubba_d
Replied by bubba_d on topic where did the gas go?
with my current setup (leaky petcock and inline needle valve. should i plug the vacuum to the petcock and disconnect the line?

1977 kz1000.

More
03 Aug 2007 04:29 #161501 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic where did the gas go?
I don't understand what you mean by an inline needle valve. If you have a fuel shut off between the petcock and carburetor assembly, disconnect the vacuum, put a 7/32" vacuum cap on the vacuum fitting that had been used and operate the bike in PRI position and when you park, shut the inline shut off valve OFF.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 Aug 2007 07:24 #161524 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic where did the gas go?
bubba_d wrote:

with my current setup (leaky petcock and inline needle valve. should i plug the vacuum to the petcock and disconnect the line?

Yes, put a cap on that port on the #2 carb or else it'll run very lean and cause damage. The 44mm plate and the cheap chrome petcock sold by Z1 Enterprises will work well. I've done three bikes with that setup. Don't screw the petcock into the plate until you actually install it. The metal will gall and damage the threads. Don't ask how I know... :pinch: Use teflon tape or pipe sealer on the threads.

Once you install the manual petcock you will no longer need an inline valve between it and the carbs. The carb float needle valves are still necessary.

To install the manual petcock, you will need to file some metal away so the round screen can fit. Doing so is rather simple, just mark the area with a permanent marker using the supplied gasket as a guide and then have at it. I have found that the petcock won't screw far enough into the adapter plate to contact the tank so the hole just needs to be large enough clear the screen.

Since the cheap manual petcock exits to the rear, some experimentation with fuel line routing will be needed. I've been able make it work with the stock airbox and a fuel filter inline with gentle bends. I have not witnessed any fuel starvation on any of the three bikes I've done.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )