HELP NEEDED KZ400

More
29 Jul 2007 06:17 #160470 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic HELP NEEDED KZ400
Does the CVB36 have a marking somewhere on it? I don't recall any model# on the carbs themselves. Also can you swap the 77 CV32 onto a 76 CVB36 intake manifold?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2007 06:29 #160471 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic HELP NEEDED KZ400
Not sure if you can swap the 77 carbs into the earlier manifolds. I have a set of the later carbs up in the shop and will take a look tomorrow. Has to do with their spacing... if the spacing is similar, then the issue would be how they form a seal to the bracket as the earlier carbs seal tightly using the oring type gasket.

As far as ID marks, these are up on the carb body on the top where they go into the bracket. They are cast or stamped into the bodies and quite plain. Look at the top of the carb on the engine side. There is an ID mark on the left. There is a divider then another number which I don't know the meaning of on the right. The ID marks are SIMILAR to those in the factory manual but not always the same. I am trying to correlate the float needles with the marks as I think the only real difference is jetting such as the jet needle, air jet sizes and the other jets rather than the basic carb body.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Jul 2007 08:37 #160505 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic HELP NEEDED KZ400
I guess I didn't mean the manifold plate, but the rubber carb holders on the engine (Kaw calls them "duct, engine intake". I see now that the "ducts" (and even the big hose clamps) are different part numbers so the carb exit throats must be different diameters, at least on the outside and presumably the inside. Or at least the manifold plate has different exit diameters.

I was just wondering if the whole shebang (carbs and maifold plate) could be easily swapped as a unit from a 76 motor onto a 77 motor. Maybe if the 76 "ducts" can bolt onto the 77 motor and the spacing was the same? If the spacing is different then I guess it's a no-go.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/07/29 11:45

More
30 Jul 2007 13:11 #160757 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic HELP NEEDED KZ400
It is obvious the 74-76 bracket fits into rubber carb holders but I don't know what a 77 KZ400 cylinder head looks like. If it uses two carb holder that are bolted to the cylinder head, I would expect that you could buy carb holders that would work, even if you had to modify the mounting hole offset some with a Dremel. Does the 77 KZ400 cylinder head have two mount holes per carb holder?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!