78 KZ1000 sooty plugs, popping exhaust

More
17 Jun 2007 13:49 #150240 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 78 KZ1000 sooty plugs, popping exhaust
Would address electrical issues.

And inspect pointed tips of pilot adjustment screws.

If problem persists, would install new #20 pilot jets (regardless of looks), because there're inexpensive, and metering is critical to pilot circuit. And it's easy for me to spend your money. :P

Meanwhile, kick back with your favorite beverage and enjoy a Happy Father's Day! :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2007 06:54 #150425 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 78 KZ1000 sooty plugs, popping exhaust
Your compression is fine. Would address the electrical issues. I would TEST the battery to ensure there are no dead or part dead cells using a hydrometer or get the battery load tested by a bike shop. If the battery tests good, then start looking at the charging system; the stator and the reg/rec and the wiring for those components. It wouldn't hurt to swap pilot jets as aftermarket pilot jets have been known to work less than optimally at times... I have seen some aftermarket pilot jets not produce a fine spray but they will produce a thick splatter... even new.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Jun 2007 05:04 #152017 by NewKZguy
Replied by NewKZguy on topic 78 KZ1000 sooty plugs, popping exhaust
Well, I pulled the top end appart, that way I know everything is in good working order. The ring gap is .026-.028 on all the rings, so I'm putting new rings in it. Plus I'm just cleaning everything up, you wouldn't believe the amount of carbon on the the valves, in the ports and in the combustion chambers. Plus I found the front timin chain guide was broken in half and just flopping around, so that was the noise I was hearing. So once I get it back together I'll post the results