Carb ID - '79 KZ1000 (Not Original)

More
07 Jun 2007 11:57 #147203 by arozanski
Carb ID - '79 KZ1000 (Not Original) was created by arozanski
Okay, I am slowly tracking down the ID of this Frankenbike I am working on. According to the VIN, its a '79 KZ1000 B3, but it does not have the accelerator pump on the carb. The carbs have individual bowl vents and you have to pull the bowls to get at the jets. It has a main jet and a pilot jet in each carb. Each carb has an individual air screw on the outside of the carb body. I do not have any pics yet.

Any guesses as to the type of carbs I have?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2007 12:11 #147205 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Carb ID - '79 KZ1000 (Not Original)
The description isn't adequate to id the carbs. Look on the flange of the outside carb (either side; 1 or 4 carb) where the flange sits up against the bracket that holds the carbs. There is an ID mark stamped onto the flange. If you come up with the ID mark, perhaps we could ID those carbs.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

More
07 Jun 2007 12:14 #147206 by arozanski
Replied by arozanski on topic Carb ID - '79 KZ1000 (Not Original)
Thanks, I'll see if I can find that tonight. They look extremely similar to the ones in your picture there.

More
07 Jun 2007 13:09 #147219 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Carb ID - '79 KZ1000 (Not Original)
Hey! Don't mean to sorta hijack this post, but George, now that I see you mentioning th ID of the carb, how is your info request on the carbs going. I know I haven't sent in my info yet but taking off carbs with me is usually something I don't like to do. Just checking to see if you are still looking for that info.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
08 Jun 2007 04:55 #147407 by wiredgeorge
kzwolfsr - Not sure I follow you?

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2007 18:31 #147653 by arozanski
WG - I cannot see any marks on either #1 or #4. What carbs do you have pictured?

More
08 Jun 2007 19:13 #147661 by daxx
Replied by daxx on topic Carb ID - '79 KZ1000 (Not Original)
hi
hate to jump in but i'm in the same boat.

wiredgeorge...my carb #'s
p9
tia
scott

More
09 Jun 2007 08:34 #147763 by wiredgeorge
arozanski - There are marks there. Take a careful look. The carbs pictured are VM26... there are at least a dozen versions of this carb with different jetting and internals. They are all rejetted completely different based on the version...

claxx - get the number from the other side. Later sets of carbs had the ID marks ONLY under the choke side and your number is a carburetor part number or something and not the ID mark... the OTHER number will start with a 1xxxx likely and that will be the ID mark. Also. what type of bike are they on? MOST of the carbs that carry the carb part number on the non-choke side are VM24s and will have horizontal bands running across the carb bodies.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
09 Jun 2007 13:21 #147815 by arozanski
WG - you are absolutely correct, I missed them last night. I see a "Z12" then "00" underneath.

More
11 Jun 2007 07:41 #148305 by wiredgeorge
Those are 1976 KZ900A4 carbs; VM26SC: #115 mains, #17.5 pilots 5DL31-3 jet needle and 258 O-6 jet needles - These are the best of the lot as far as VM26s... not affected by EPA mandates at this point and plenty rich. Not much needs to be done with these carbs for rejet if you put on pods or a 4 into 1... just #120 mains. Leave the rest alone. They sync mechanism is a bit complicated but works well once you understand it.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Jun 2007 09:41 #148344 by arozanski
wiredgeorge wrote:

Those are 1976 KZ900A4 carbs; VM26SC: #115 mains, #17.5 pilots 5DL31-3 jet needle and 258 O-6 jet needles - These are the best of the lot as far as VM26s... not affected by EPA mandates at this point and plenty rich. Not much needs to be done with these carbs for rejet if you put on pods or a 4 into 1... just #120 mains. Leave the rest alone. They sync mechanism is a bit complicated but works well once you understand it.

Thanks! Amazing what info you can get from those little numbers :P

They already have 120's in them. Believe me, I don't want to mess with them any more than I need to.

Now, another question - I purchased rebuild kits for a '79 KZ1000A, I assume something is different? The gaskets worked fine, but what about the inlet needle and seat? Should I get new kits?

More
11 Jun 2007 11:20 #148384 by wiredgeorge
I guess it would depend on what is included in the rebuild kits. The bowl and top gaskets will be the same. The other stuff may not be. While the float seats will fit, I am not positive if they are the same size opening as the originals. The 76 seats should be marked 2.3... not sure about the replacment.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!