All 4 plugs indicate lean. What to adjust?

More
31 May 2007 06:08 #145168 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic All 4 plugs indicate lean. What to adjust?
The bike is running good. Your insulators are white and not sooted up... and why is it you want to mess with the jetting? If you see a bit of soot, what octane gas are you using? What voltage do you have at your coils? Have you checked your valve clearances? What compression did you see when you checked it?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2007 06:51 #145186 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic All 4 plugs indicate lean. What to adjust?
the ceramic portion ofthe plug should be a lite tan to white, with this new crap 10% gas we are getting it changes the way the plugs look, I got the feeling that there is nothing wrong with the jetting of the carbs

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
31 May 2007 09:36 #145214 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic All 4 plugs indicate lean. What to adjust?
wiredgeorge wrote:

The bike is running good. Your insulators are white and not sooted up... and why is it you want to mess with the jetting? If you see a bit of soot, what octane gas are you using? What voltage do you have at your coils? Have you checked your valve clearances? What compression did you see when you checked it?

WG, sorry, just learning as I go here. From what I read, if the insulator is pure white (no tan whatsoever), that indicates lean. That's why I asked.

To answer your questions...

Octane: 87 (the soot I see is only around the outer ring--none on the insulator or tip which are both pure white.

Coil Voltage: ~12 (did relay mod)

Clearances: Good

Compression: Well, here's the deal. I don't know if you remember, but a few months ago, after I had finished my top-end rebuild, I posted my concern that my compression was reading quite low (<100PSI). At that time, I think you and/or others told me not to worry about it until I had several hundred miles on the bike. It has been running well since that time. I put on about 1000 miles since the rebuild, and I thought it was time I check the compression again.

No change. All cyls still <100PSI. So I'm thinking my el-cheapo Harbor Freight compression guage is not giving me good data. So my next step is to go borrow my uncle's guage and see if I get anything different.

Last night, since I had the carbs off anyway, I went ahead and reclipped the needles at 4. Didn't notice much performance difference on the way to work today. But I'll check the plugs later, and do a full throttle-chop exam.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/05/31 12:39

West Linn, OR