accelerator pumps missing

More
09 May 2007 22:11 #138760 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic accelerator pumps missing
To clarify Using JMKHI's picture:
The white circles are the accelerator nozzles
The red circles are the overflow tubes
The yellow tee and pipes are the oned I mentioned to check for a buildup of crud that will hinder fuel flow, also check the holes in the carbs that they slide into.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2007 05:47 - 22 Feb 2013 11:56 #138812 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
=
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 11:56 by JMKZHI.

More
10 May 2007 14:56 #138987 by b4schroer
Replied by b4schroer on topic accelerator pumps missing
Vach and JMKZHI, you know guys, I am grateful for all the comments and help, I truly am . . . but you have failed to read thouroughly. I am not wondering whether or not I have an accelerator pump. I KNOW that I DON'T have one. My question this whole time has been whether or not the carbs can work properly without it. My carbs are the 1979 ones which were designed to be used with an acclerator pump, of which has never been there. But I have never actually had my bike running real well and wonder the possibility of this being an issue. I just never put 2 and 2 together that I didn't have one(and am supposed to). Never took the time to realize that it simply wasn't there, and that my manual thinks it should be there. Anyway, no offense, just read a little more carefully maybe.

So Vach, your bike runs ok without one, my question is this: Is your bike supposed to have one originally?

Milkman, thanks for the explanation and correction of what the accelerator pump is supposed to actually do. In addition, thanks for the choke plunger confirmation. No idea where to buy any huh?

So I finish here: With Milkman's comment about WHY the accelerator pump is there . . . does that mean without the pump, that the carb is going to run to lean and stall, or can it function properly without it? I am up a creek if my carbs are going to have to find an accelerator pump.

More
10 May 2007 14:56 #138988 by b4schroer
If I am missing what others are asking me . . . maybe this helps:

Is anyone questioning the fact that my carbs are designed for the accelerator pump?

I have pictures of an identical set that I have . . . also without the AP. Reason that I am assuming the accelerator pump is made for them is that they match the schematics for the carb with the AP from my manual. It is in the supplement pages for the 79 models. In addition, the air screw is on the outside of the carbs going in at an angle, which is different than the 78 model where they have that air needle screw limiter deal that goes in from underneath instead.

Post edited by: b4schroer, at: 2007/05/10 17:58

Post edited by: b4schroer, at: 2007/05/10 18:02
Attachments:

More
10 May 2007 15:03 #138989 by b4schroer
a

Post edited by: b4schroer, at: 2007/05/10 18:04
Attachments:

More
10 May 2007 16:38 #139009 by vach
Replied by vach on topic accelerator pumps missing
look at the pic with the accelerator pump... They have suirter jets on the front side of the carb where the air filters go. Inside the opening you will see the suirter nozzles.. you my friend do not have them... To answer your other question.. No, I do not think the bike will run right without them.. Your carbs do NOT have accelerator pump..;) Be free my friend, be free...

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
10 May 2007 16:50 #139011 by The Milkman
It looks like sometime in the bikes history someone replaced the original cabs with older ones, or the bike is an early 79 and was made without the pumps to begin with.
I totally understand your confusion. Now it's either get the ones you have setup as an earlier bike or find some on ebay or somewhere else that have the pump if you want it.
With a little work and fine tuning you can get the ones you have to work well for you. They were used for several years and the bikes ran well.
Time to make a choice.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
10 May 2007 17:05 #139017 by The Milkman
Also, getting back to your original post, you say that the bike was running fine and now it starts running like crap after about 5 minutes. I would still check the fuel flow, to and through the carbs. A simple test would be to have them on the bike. Take the bowl off them one at a time, put a pan under the carb and set the petcock to prime and see how much fuel you are getting into the carb. If you do do this just be careful, I don't want to hear your house went up in flames. But, it can be done safely and it a good test for fuel flow. It would be a good idea to start the test by seeing how much comes out of the fuel hose that runs to the carbs to begin with. If this is low it either the filter on the petcock that's in the tank, the petcock itself is plugged, that's unlikely though but possible or the fuel filter if you have one on the line. When I originally got my bike there was not filter on it and that is how the tee and crossover tubes between the carbs got plugged.
Good luck

More
10 May 2007 21:53 #139105 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic accelerator pumps missing
Hey B, We all here might agree that simple 650's didn't have a accelerator pump, only the SR OF 79. If you just have the normal carbs without the accell pump parts, thats the way it's supposed to be, nothing more nothing less, so your bike will work as long as the carbs are complete

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
11 May 2007 09:48 - 03 Dec 2008 11:02 #139201 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:02 by JMKZHI.

More
11 May 2007 12:41 #139217 by vach
Replied by vach on topic accelerator pumps missing
Uhhhh..... What he said...:blink: :pinch: :huh: :dry: :S ;) :) Have a nice day..:laugh:

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
12 May 2007 22:35 #139597 by b4schroer
Well, for the record, I never meant to be a jerk, and I never meant anyone disrespect. I accept responsibility for any and all wrong that could have happened in these posts. I have many flaws in my writing due to my limited knowledge and aparantly, my confusing statements. I thought I wrote it as best I could. When I mentioned you guys reading more carefully, it was a genuine gesture to perhaps save you time writing, and to get responses on things which(I thought) I had already been clear about. I did indeed know that I DIDN'T have the AP. So I think we can both say that somewhere down the line, I confused you telling me I didn't have one(which I knew) with you telling me that I wasn't supposed to have one(a whole different story). In any event, my sincerest apologies for encouraging you to summon all my worst and confusing sentences back into another post of quotes and clarifying I) how pointless and stupid they are II) how much offense you took from them, and III) how I should read more carefully myself. No person should have to go through that hassle of reposting and quoting simply to teach, guide and show a person a better way. But, thanks for your help and thoughts. ALMOST everyone I have communicated with from the website has been friendly and helpful, thanks for making sure that trend doesn't reach simply EVERYONE.

Post edited by: b4schroer, at: 2007/05/13 01:37