Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 09 Feb 2007 20:25 #111301

• junkyarddog82
  • junkyarddog82's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i'm not really sure i understand what your saying in your post. i own a small salvage yard and work on classic cars. so i do understand what it takes to make an engine run. the electronics on a bike are a little different, and the carbs are different. the only thing i have found so far is the idle screw. i'm not sure what you were talking about, if i was jerking with you guys or not... when i started today i thought i had a carb problem, but after some investigating myself i found i had a dead cylinder. but now i have broke the spark plug wire off right at the coil. so i can't do anymore tests until i get a coil and wires to replace. i live in new york so we are too far apart for you to come over and take a look. once i replace those items i still don't know where to check the timing marks, and some of the other stuff members mentioned to me. i have owned a couple harleys, but never had to work on them, just ride 'em. if it was a car i would have had it running by now... lol. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 09 Feb 2007 21:01 #111305

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
junkyarddog82 wrote:

i'm not really sure i understand what your saying in your post. i own a small salvage yard and work on classic cars. so i do understand what it takes to make an engine run. the electronics on a bike are a little different, and the carbs are different. the only thing i have found so far is the idle screw. i'm not sure what you were talking about, if i was jerking with you guys or not... when i started today i thought i had a carb problem, but after some investigating myself i found i had a dead cylinder. but now i have broke the spark plug wire off right at the coil. so i can't do anymore tests until i get a coil and wires to replace. i live in new york so we are too far apart for you to come over and take a look. once i replace those items i still don't know where to check the timing marks, and some of the other stuff members mentioned to me. i have owned a couple harleys, but never had to work on them, just ride 'em. if it was a car i would have had it running by now... lol. thanks

I don't think timing marks should be your primary focus at this particular time.
There are a number of after market repair/conversion connectors that allow you to try and salvage coils with permanently affixed but broken plug wires. Do a little investigating to find out for yourself if this is the approach you wish to take. Maybe it is, maybe it ain't.
It may be far simpler to start with a fresh, new, out-of-the-bag coil set with wires included. Your ignition system has more components than just the coil(s), but let's take it one step at a time, shall we? You need to do what's necessary and concentrate on assuring that you have spark on all plugs before proceeding, regardless of whether engine will start and/or run. Did you know that you can hold a spark plug against the engine with your bare hand, turn the engine over using the electric starter and it will _NOT_ even shock you so long as you don't let contact between plug threads and engine fail, for even an instant. That is all you need do/know to check for ignition. If the plugs are not firing, let us know what you do observe. Take written notes on what does or does not seem logical so you can build sort of a flow chart of what you check out.
You did not answer my previous question about accessing and searching the filebase for "not specific model" downloads.
What's up with that? I'll bet you can find a write-up on step-by-step checks of any and all ignition concerns.
As you observed already, I am more than a few minutes away so I can't see your ride, but I can almost guarantee you have more than one issue to resolve. You will not, however do any good trying to work on carb issues without first having a solid as a rock ignition system.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/10 00:10

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/10 00:14

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 09 Feb 2007 21:16 #111306

• junkyarddog82
  • junkyarddog82's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
dude, don't talk to me like i'm 5. i work on cars so i do know to take the plug out and check for spark there. i didn't know where to check back at the coil, becuase there aren't any exposed connections. i was looking for a farther back place to check. i have done a bunch of searching on this site. no i did not find whatever it was that you suggested i look for. i am new to this site, like as of today in fact. i thought forums were meant to be helpful, and the people were there to help becuase they have the same motorized vehicle as you and want to help. at this point you are irritating me. so i guess i'm done posting. i'll just dive in and see where it takes me. thanks for all the reply's.

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 09 Feb 2007 21:56 #111308

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
junkyarddog82 wrote:

dude, don't talk to me like i'm 5. i work on cars so i do know to take the plug out and check for spark there. i didn't know where to check back at the coil, becuase there aren't any exposed connections. i was looking for a farther back place to check. i have done a bunch of searching on this site. no i did not find whatever it was that you suggested i look for. i am new to this site, like as of today in fact. i thought forums were meant to be helpful, and the people were there to help becuase they have the same motorized vehicle as you and want to help. at this point you are irritating me. so i guess i'm done posting. i'll just dive in and see where it takes me. thanks for all the replies.

I wanted to respond, starting with an apology, a welcome to the post and a procedure to find and search the filebase. I composed said response in great detail, then rethinking, I decided that I should just bow out rather than risk making matters worse.
If you want to get your panties out of a bunch and actually learn something, then say so and perhaps someone else can use a different approach.
Good night, sleep tight.

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 10 Feb 2007 05:14 #111322

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If needed, here's a good link for KZ400 info:

kz400.com/

Would concur with having both ignition and compression up to specs before doing carb work. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 10 Feb 2007 12:41 #111388

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Wow.
Nice way to welcome a new member.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 11 Feb 2007 08:30 #111518

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
Well guys-N-gals
I apologize to the entire forum for coming across as being, soooo,,, "brutal?"
Anyone interested in responding, please Personal Message me, addressing either generally or specifically what was brutal.
In my opinion, I too am new to the forum as is anyone with less than two hundred posts. My reasons for being here is first and foremost to have fun, and not at the expense of someone else. No. two reason is to actually assist in areas where I do happen to have some general knowledge; and lastly, to learn from others.
Not welcoming members with less than, oh, I don't know, ten or so posts is inexcusable, and, while I have seen a number of welcomes, I have not seen as many as I would like. Not welcoming junkyarddog82 was the worst offense I can find with my replies to this young man.
I still want to hear from you and you and you, so please let me.
If I am way off base in my assessment here, then thanks to the moderator with authority to do so, for not gagging me.
If this post belongs in the chit chat forum, then bump me.

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 11 Feb 2007 08:40 #111520

• wireman
  • Visitor
junkyarddog82 wrote:

Salvage yard,Classic cars?pictures we need pictures!:P
Attachments:

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 11 Feb 2007 08:53 #111527

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
Salvage yard,Classic cars?pictures we need pictures!:P [/quote]
Hey buddy,,, you stay out'a my garage; and quit taking unauthorized pictures!:lol: :lol:

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 11 Feb 2007 08:56 #111529

• wireman
  • Visitor
Attachments:

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 11 Feb 2007 09:06 #111534

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
wireman wrote:

MAN!!
What did I just tell you!:woohoo: :woohoo:
And get that dern dog out of here; he keeps running into stuff.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/11 12:06

'75 kz400 engine, need carb help!! 11 Feb 2007 12:04 #111578

• wireman
  • Visitor
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

wireman wrote:

MAN!!
What did I just tell you!:woohoo: :woohoo:
And get that dern dog out of here; he keeps running into stuff.<br><br>Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/11 12:06

oh sorry,ever since PT put those glasses on me and gave me the seeing eye dog i dont know what garage im going into anymore!:S :P