Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Autoshift/airshift 31 May 2022 16:36 #867957

• Southpaw
  • Southpaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Curious, what are other people are using for air shift, auto or manual. I've had 3 Schnitz RSR shift modules just can't get them to work. Have had numerous emails with Ricky to no avail. Need to come up with another system, have some ideas just wondering others are using.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 14:00 #867992

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
Any more details and pictures so we can  help out

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 15:16 #867999

• Southpaw
  • User
Guess I was a little light details. So I'm giving up on the schnitz air shift module,  I have dynatek 2000 and dynatek drl 400, air solenoid and cylinder in place.  Thinking about using one of the programable outputs of the ignition to fire the solenoid and a air  switch to activate the DRL to act as engine kill also the clutch switch will be in parallel with the air kill so I still have launch control. Hate to give up on the ASM but they just don't seem to work for me. Tell me what you wanna see and I'll get pics

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 15:38 #868002

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
Questions 
 Does it make any shifts at all
Air pressure used 
how is it attached and at what point on the  shifter
Electric over air 
 air over air
Just all the basics
And of course   Pictures

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 15:55 #868004

• Southpaw
  • User
No shifting bike wont rev up with ASM hooked up. 120 psi electric over air, wired to the schematic provided. 

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 16:46 #868007

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

No shifting bike wont rev up with ASM hooked up. 

That sounds like maybe coil isn't getting enough power?  Does it sound like it's hitting a rev limiter, or did it just kind of not go?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 16:51 #868008

• Southpaw
  • User
Yep exactly like it hits a rev limiter. Seems those asm have problem letting the coils have enough current.

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 20:19 #868014

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

Yep exactly like it hits a rev limiter. Seems those asm have problem letting the coils have enough current.
Have you measured the voltage at the coils when it won't rev up?  If the RSR ASM is not able to provide enough current, you should be able to see that the voltage at the coils is lower than expected.

If you can show that the RSR ASM is not providing enough power to the coils, you could insert a relay in the circuit and confirm that this solves the issue.  I'm not sure a relay is the best permanent solution, but it should work well enough for you to determine if this is the real issue or it's really something else.

What coils are you running?  Are you using the gray Dyna 2.2 ohm for the Dyna 2000?

Any chance you have or could draw a diagram of how you have it wired?  I'm assuming the DRL400 and Dyna-2000 are working by themselves, and they otherwise play well together?  I'm guessing you set the Dyna-2000 rev limiter to be well above the DRL400 high-limit, and let the DRL400 do all the work?

I believe my dad's Z1 drag bike used the Dyna 4000 and the big Dyna coil pack (Twinfire).  The Dyna-4000 has an air kill switch input and two-stage rev limiter, but the shifting is not automatic and it doesn't have all of the fancy timing features of the RSR ASM.

His bike also has the Dyna shift light box (DSMS-4), which this manual shows can be combined with the DRL400 to create an auto-shift setup.

shop.dynatekuk.com/ekmps/shops/dynojet/r...m-2h-dsm4-dsm-4h.pdf
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Autoshift/airshift 01 Jun 2022 20:38 #868015

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
One more thing to check.  Are you certain the ASM is not cutting power to the DRL-400 or Dyna-2000 when it cuts power to the coils?

The DRL-400 or Dyna-2000 (each one has a red power wire) should be powered from the same coil power input feeding the ASM orange wire.

schnitzracing.com/manuals/RSR-ASM-001.pdf

Oh, and I was also curious if you could use the tach output from the Dyna-2000 as the tach input to the ASM, instead of tying in to the coil negative wire.  That seems cleaner.
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:

Last edit: by DOHC.

Autoshift/airshift 02 Jun 2022 10:32 #868046

• Southpaw
  • User
yes i am using the gray 2.2 coils The ASM is definitly limiting the voltage /current to the coils. Attached a rough sketch of how ASm is wired in 
Attachments:

Autoshift/airshift 02 Jun 2022 10:36 #868047

• Southpaw
  • User
ASM is not cutting voltage to the DRL or the Ignition as they are feed from there own fused circuits. Using the tach output is a interesting idea but point less if the ASM isnt capable of supply the coils the current they need on a consistent bases

Autoshift/airshift 02 Jun 2022 10:43 #868049

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I am going to throw my ignorance down in public here. It looks to me like the system is wired to fire both coils every time, meaning all four plugs fire every time any piston is at tdc. If that is the case, then at high rpm the coils may not have enough time to recover.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: