Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Looking for carbs 21 Mar 2021 20:03 #845325

• Stumpy4u
  • Stumpy4u's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I do have a manual downloaded, but every mention of that adjustment was "start from factory settings". And I read the whole thing and it never did give the exact number.
1981 KZ305A CSR
Western Kentucky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for carbs 21 Mar 2021 21:01 #845331

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
2.5 turns open is a good starting point.  This setting affects emission which is why Kawasaki doesn't mention the setting in the manual.  The number is just a starting point anyway since you should tweak the setting to achieve the highest idle and best off idle throttle performance. 

And when it comes to cleaning carbs short cuts are long cuts.  I strongly advocate fully breaking down the carbs into pieces and soaking the bodies and all hard parts in carb dip to clean all the varnish out.  When done reassemble with all new O-rings.  Spraying junk through the passages is not the best method since most of the time the passages don't get properly cleaned this way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stumpy4u

Looking for carbs 23 Mar 2021 12:00 #845392

• Stumpy4u
  • User
I do understand that everything will need replaced. But this thing ran great as long as it was above 2000 rpm until I tried to patch the diaphragms. Now that I have the pilot jet 99% cleaned out, shouldn't it at least try to start? 
I have checked the points and plugs, both are clean and getting good spark when I pulled the plugs and rolled it over. There is even a bit of gas on the plugs so I'm sure it's getting gas now.
It just cranks... Even flipping the choke on and off didn't do a thing.
Back to being stumped again :(
1981 KZ305A CSR
Western Kentucky

Looking for carbs 23 Mar 2021 16:00 #845399

• Stumpy4u
  • User
Thank you Nessism, the 2.5 turns did the trick. Now that I'm sure the carb bodies are sound, I have no problem spending the cash on the rebuild kit. Probably won't be able to get everything exact till then, but now I know what to do so it will be fairly easy.

One last question. Can I buy the parts off e-bay or do I really have to spend the extra money and get them from a dealer?
1981 KZ305A CSR
Western Kentucky

Last edit: by Stumpy4u. Reason: One last question

Looking for carbs 29 Mar 2021 13:44 #845754

• Hardgun
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
  • Thank you received: 12
Look around on Z1enterprises.com. I wouldn't doubt if they have a full rebuild kit on there.

As far as the Diaphrams it's kind of a call you gotta make yourself. Im usually against getting reamed by a dealership for OEM unless it's my only option, even at the risk of possibly getting an inferior products.

Depends on the cost difference I suppose. 
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe