Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wrist Pin Installer 26 Jan 2020 09:22 #817946

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I don't know about others on the forum, but when I received my Wiseco piston kit I was quite surprised by how strong and difficult the wrist pin clips they included were to install in the pistons. I had run into this once before and at that time looked for a suitable, easy to use tool to install circular wrist pin clips but really found nothing worthwhile. Stock or OEM clips are relatively easy to put in, but not the Wiseco clips. Some will chance using a screwdriver or other object to help them get the clip in but one slip and it can be devastating. I came across an individual who runs a business repairing Porsche automobiles. He devised a tool he calls the wrist pin clip injector. I guess Porsche wrist pin clips can be difficult to install too. In operation you load the wrist pin clip a specific way into a sleeve and then install a "pusher" behind it. You locate the loaded tool into the wrist pin hole and while holding the sleeve steady you push the plunger in and the circlip slides into the wrist pin bore. It sounds quite simple and it is, but it took me a few "practice runs" on my old pistons to get the procedure down. I have included a few pictures of the tool so you get the gist of my description.

Now to the bad news, the tool isn't cheap. Mine ran about $95.00 but it was a one off model. He doesn't routinely make his clip install tool in the small 17mm size needed for KZ-1000 pistons. When he agreed to make one for me he had it finished in less than a day and it was very well made. I am not sure if this is acceptable, but the name of the company selling this tool is Stomski Racing and can be found on the Internet. If you would want one of these tools you will have to call him and see if he will make another one up for you. The owners name is Steve and was quite helpful. I have no vested interest in the company nor do I know the owner other then ordering the tool from him. Some will no doubt say this is a needless tool and waste of money and that is well and good. Some others have used OEM or other heavy duty wrist pin clips in place of the Wiseco clips because of the difficulty installing the Wiseco clips. I decided to stay with the Wiseco clips and found an easier way of putting them in place. In any event, some may find this information useful.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wrist Pin Installer 26 Jan 2020 10:34 #817953

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
How do you load the clip in? It looks like you compress it enough to get it to start inside the tool then use the plunger to get it set and insert it into the piston and again use the plunger to push it out of the tool. Is it poking out in the 3rd picture? I have never installed any wrist pins (I understand how they go together though) so my base knowledge of this isn't much.
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

Wrist Pin Installer 26 Jan 2020 11:10 #817957

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
With some craft mans skills an old 17 mm wrist pin can be modified to the same tool.

Wrist Pin Installer 26 Jan 2020 14:02 #817973

• Rick H.
  • User

M_a_t_t wrote: How do you load the clip in? It looks like you compress it enough to get it to start inside the tool then use the plunger to get it set and insert it into the piston and again use the plunger to push it out of the tool. Is it poking out in the 3rd picture? I have never installed any wrist pins (I understand how they go together though) so my base knowledge of this isn't much.

Matt: yes you "load" the clip by pushing it straight into the sleeve with the open end up. Then you pivot the clip to the side until it stops based on how far you have pushed it in the sleeve and run the pusher in until it stops against the clip. At that point you are ready to insert the tool into the wrist pin bore. OEM clips are very easy to load into the sleeve, but Wiseco clips are more difficult. I usually need a glove on my hand to load them.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Wrist Pin Installer 26 Jan 2020 14:03 #817975

• Rick H.
  • User

Scirocco wrote: With some craft mans skills an old 17 mm wrist pin can be modified to the same tool.

Can you explain a bit more on this Scirocco?
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• Page: