• Page:

TOPIC:

Engine Stand 08 Oct 2018 10:15 #792020

• Hardgun
  • Hardgun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
  • Thank you received: 12
So I did some looking around for an engine stand online and figured out a good one runs about 250 bucks. Well I'm a welder and fabricator so I said stuff that and made my own. I've attached plans and a couple pictures of my finished product. If anyone needs any more detail or has solidworks and wants them I can send the solidworks files, just pm me. I made mine fairly adjustable, should be able to adapt to any inline style engine with the long front and rear motor mounts. Goes from about knee height to waist height. If you've got the equipment and access to some square tube this is the way to go. Cost me about 75 bucks. Oh and btw I forgot to change the drawings but I bumped up all my .25 holes to ..3125 just to give them a little more surface contact when holding stuff down.
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wozza, chopper1963, godzilla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Engine Stand 08 Oct 2018 11:06 #792021

• Wozza
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Hey nice job. Don't forget a bolt to lock one the pivots to prevent the engine from spinning when you least want it.. I came to the same conclusion as you and made a stand out of scrap off cuts along the same lines . I found the center of balance changed quite a lot as I stripped the engine down and locking the the engine at any angle was very useful.

1982 KZ550H1
Attachments:

Last edit: by Wozza.

Engine Stand 08 Oct 2018 11:24 #792022

• Hardgun
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
Thanks! Good point there. I was thinking if that ended up being a problem for me I had the intention of putting holes every inch around a wheel and putting it on the back of my pivot and just slide a pin in to index it in place, but the bolt would probably be better as you could get it at ANY angle you want. Has the bolt boogered up your pivot pin and made it spin rough at all?
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe

Engine Stand 08 Oct 2018 14:41 #792037

• Wozza
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
I just used a pipe inside a pipe , that's what was laying around. Its quite a loose fit maybe a bit more than 1/16" so the marks from the bolt wouldn't be a problem. If the pin is a close fit I would have second thoughts about the bolt unless the pin had a smaller diameter groove machined into it for the bolt to nip up into.
Really most of the work is done with the engine upside down or up the right way, it was only a couple of times I had the engine on its side not that it needed to be .
The weight of the motor is going to want to turn to its heavy side, so just make your method of locking the motor easy to do because you will be trying to stop the motor from spinning as you lock it in place. Your disk with holes will work, its what I used when I built a car rotisserie.
1982 KZ550H1

Last edit: by Wozza.

Engine Stand 08 Oct 2018 14:53 #792038

• Hardgun
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
Yeah i made my solid pin in the lathe but i don't think it'll be a problem my gap is still like .025 and the shouldn't be that much force on it to where i have to tighten it super hard. Put a handle on her too i don't need to worry about using my wrench when i want to spin it.
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Engine Stand 10 Oct 2018 23:24 #792151

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
very nice looking and functional stand guys.

Any plan on making a few of this and selling it? I may be very interested.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Engine Stand 26 May 2019 06:10 #804579

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I hate to resurrect a dead thread, but it would be great if someone with the ability and experience could make up a batch of functional engine stands and sell them to forum members. I just don't have the resources to make something like an engine stand i.e. a welder, but obviously having an engine stand would be a huge benefit. Heck I am still trying to find someone that can make an engine removal bracket for me.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Engine Stand 26 May 2019 21:27 #804654

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Give Hardgun a PM. He made me very nice engine stand that you can take it a part. He made it that way so he can ship it to me (I live in Hawaii). I forgot how much I paid him, but it was very reasonable price. He also did it in no time. I think it only took him about week to make it.

I supposed to take picture and post it here, but I have two motorcycle that I'm rebuilding along with one 86' Monte Carlo SS that needs my attention because the body guys screwed up pretty much the whole car (outside is nice. It's the electrical and other stuff that needs my attention) and I have Lincoln LS as my DD and that's another pain I have to deal with.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hardgun

Engine Stand 28 May 2019 05:35 #804691

• Hardgun
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
^ what this gentleman said. PM me for more information.
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe

• Page: