Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Valve Spring Compressor 28 Apr 2018 21:57 #782570

• nl59
  • nl59's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I made a valve compressor after renting one from an auto store. It was much quicker and not difficult....

TOOLS
vice grip
spark plug socket
magnets
ziplock bag
2x4

So to remove a valve cap from the stem I used a spark plug socket with a rectangular magnet which fit in the spark plug socket. Then I used vie grips to act as handles to connect to the spark plug wrench for placement. I placed the 2x4 under a vice to use as leverage to compress the spring. The magnet was on top of the valve and as you compress the spring and the retaining locks were free'd the magnet would attach to them and you release the 2x4 the retaining locks were on the magnet.

To reinstall you place the components back into the seat and the retaining locks carefully seat as close to normal as possible. Then fold a ziplock bag 4 or so times so that the metal doesn't puncture the bag. Then place spark plug socket on top on the bag and apply leverage with 2x4. Get the hang of it. It works pretty well:)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve Spring Compressor 31 Dec 2019 03:40 #816165

• The_Fixer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry, I know it's an old thread.
On my GPZ 750 head, I used an old sliding F clamp and an oxygen sensor socket, which allowed me access to the collets. Was really easy to use.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: