Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ghetto piston ring compressors 01 Jul 2012 03:39 #532979

• jason8887
  • jason8887's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
So, I'm sure other guys have used this technique, but I thought it might be fun to put something together with some pics. So, here it goes

Step one: Get a good energy drink in you. You need to be focused for this!

Attachment IMG_5198.JPG not found

Step two: grab that old license plate hanging on your wall. You know, the one that your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend gives you crap about everytime they walk in your shop: "Why do you keep this junk?!" Cut strips out that are as wide as a hose clamp that will fit around your piston and rings. Trim the length to allow the strip to almost touch when wrapped around the piston

Attachment IMG_5199.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_5201.JPG not found

Step three: Don't forget to debur the edges! The last thing you want is a little sliver of aluminum floating around in your bottom end

Step four: Get some more energy

Step 5: Roll the strip into your hose clamp, then place it on your piston and compress the rings. Note that you may want to do this step after putting your pistons on your bike

Attachment IMG_5204.JPG not found

Step 6: Start sliding your block over the pistons. If the ring compressors are not sliding easily then you should loosen them up a bit

Attachment IMG_5210.JPG not found

Step 7: When you have slid your block down as far as possible, remove the clamps and strips. IMPORTANT: slip a piece of wire or screwdriver under the piston to keep the strip of license plate from falling down into the crank case!

Attachment IMG_5211.JPG not found

Step 8: You will no doubt be completely pumped at how easily this went together, so you had better take something to calm you down

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: